new to tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

wexler_arcade00

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well, im not even new, i dont even have a tort yet, but when i do get one, i want a russian. ive been reading alot of caresheets and i have some carpentry/woodwork skills so i was wondering what dimentions my tortoise table should be if i am to occomadate 1 mabey eventually 2 full grown russians. thank you very much in advance ttt for proper husbandry
p.s if your wondering i am currently keeping
1.0.o whites tree frog
1.0.0 green water dragon
1.0.0 mali uromastyx
0.2.0 uromastyx geryi
and am not currently in the position to buy until my one female geryi uro gets over a nasty tail infection. peace =)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and Welcome to the forum, Wexler:

In my opinion, tortoises need to be outside. You can keep a couple Russians in a pen appx. 16' square, and when in the house, a tall book case laying on its back would be a good size. But for their mental and physical health, they need to be outside!

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree with Yvonne! Outside is so much better for them. I have seven and when I brought two new ones in for quaranteen, she sat and rammed the sides of the indoor pen, finally I put her outside and she is a totally different tort, she even laid her first egg.

wexler_arcade00

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cool ya, about the outside.
well i live in canada...cold winters
but i live in southern B.C (kelowna) we get 40'celcius days in the summer, last week it averaged about 36'C
i dunno what our humidity is. my friend has a baby leopard tort and has an outdoor tray for him, also lets him graze in his backyard. can a russian tolerate these summer temps???, i dunno what our humididy is but acording to my brometer (sp)/themom/clock outside (wich i dunno if its acurate) our humidity is about 30% in july so far. ill get back to yall with proper humididty levels and temps for the weekly average in the sun and in the shade

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russians are one of the more cold tolerant tortoises. As long as its warm, humidity isn't much of an issue. Its when it gets cold that they shouldn't be damp.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.