New to Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello :)

I just got a male Russian tortoise after proper research and preps. He lives in an outdoor enclosure, when I bring him in for the colder months, would a plastic wading be suitable as a habitat? I have a few more questions :D

Is mulch a safe substrate? I haven't really seen anything around about that.
Vegetables, how much should I feed him?
Indoor lighting, what do you recommend for when I bring him in for the winter?

2qn9yc7.jpg

That's him, does he look healthy?

Thanks! :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Welcome!
Cute little one, what's his name? Where'd you get him?
And I will try to supply you some knowledge (as much as my 2 months with my RT Franklin) Franklin is mostly indoor but I bring him outdoors and watch him (his outdoor home is not close to remodeled yet and I'll always bring him in at night just to know he's safe, I'm a kinda paranoid tortoise mom. As for substrate I know for his outside grass is important Franklin knows he likes dandilion leaves and clovers and grazes whenever he can, his 'playground' I call it is our old sandbox with mulch in one corner (just regular mulch) and soon to be a patch of grass in the second corner the rest still sand, no one recommends sand tho, too risky (Franklin's WC so he loves it and I don't have the heart to take it away) inside he has petstore reptibark mulch, mulch is fine. For veggies Franklin loves tomatoes (feed sparingly, like treat once a month) he likes spring mix and romaine, I feed him a small handful of each everyday (unless I had him out grazing long them I either give him less or none depending on how much he had outside. And he looks healthy to me, shells smoother than my franklins. Good luck with him, and hope I helped at least a little :)

RussianTorts

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
smarch said:
Welcome!
Cute little one, what's his name? Where'd you get him?
And I will try to supply you some knowledge (as much as my 2 months with my RT Franklin) Franklin is mostly indoor but I bring him outdoors and watch him (his outdoor home is not close to remodeled yet and I'll always bring him in at night just to know he's safe, I'm a kinda paranoid tortoise mom. As for substrate I know for his outside grass is important Franklin knows he likes dandilion leaves and clovers and grazes whenever he can, his 'playground' I call it is our old sandbox with mulch in one corner (just regular mulch) and soon to be a patch of grass in the second corner the rest still sand, no one recommends sand tho, too risky (Franklin's WC so he loves it and I don't have the heart to take it away) inside he has petstore reptibark mulch, mulch is fine. For veggies Franklin loves tomatoes (feed sparingly, like treat once a month) he likes spring mix and romaine, I feed him a small handful of each everyday (unless I had him out grazing long them I either give him less or none depending on how much he had outside. And he looks healthy to me, shells smoother than my franklins. Good luck with him, and hope I helped at least a little :)

I haven't really decided on a name. It's temporarily gonna be Bubba.

pandiculator

5 Year Member
RussianTorts said:
Hello :)

I just got a male Russian tortoise after proper research and preps. He lives in an outdoor enclosure, when I bring him in for the colder months, would a plastic wading be suitable as a habitat? I have a few more questions :D

Vegetables, how much should I feed him?
Indoor lighting, what do you recommend for when I bring him in for the winter?

2qn9yc7.jpg

That's him, does he look healthy?

Thanks! :)

I don't know how 'safe' mulch is, to be honest. RTs are diggers and burrowers, and I might worry that the mulch could damage his skin. When you bring him in, most here would recommend using a 50-gallon rubbermaid tub (you can get 'em at larger hardware stores) if you don't build an enclosure indoors yourself. Anyway, you'll want something large enough that you can get a gradient of temperatures. For the indoor lighting, you'll want a bulb that gives off UVA and UVB. There is currently information that the compact florescent bulbs can damage their vision, so a mercury bulb is going to be your best bet. You will also need a source heat. A thermal bulb is great for this. Anyway, there's a trove of stuff here on indoor enclosures. Congrats on the new lifelong companion!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
RussianTorts said:

I haven't really decided on a name. It's temporarily gonna be Bubba.

Do you have anyone living with you? If so your stuck with bubba for a name :D Every time my family gets something and we name it temporarily it just sticks. And your stuck with that name forever :p So if you don't like the name......Change it! :p ;) :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A plastic wading pool will be fine for your first winter with the tortoise. But for next winter think about allowing the tortoise to hibernate.

j textudo

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
A plastic wading pool will be fine for your first winter with the tortoise. But for next winter think about allowing the tortoise to hibernate.

I was thinking about hibernating my Russians this year but I have been kind of nervous about it,any tips you can give me??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should always keep a new-to-you tortoise up the first winter he is with you. This gives you a chance to get to know the tortoise, his habits and little idiosyncrasies so you know for sure he is healthy enough. Next winter, you will have been able to fatten him up before winter, and you will know for sure that he is healthy. No need to learn about it now. It will sort of grow on you as you progress in your knowledge of tortoise-keeping.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
RussianTorts said:

He is adorable. A kiddie pool would work very well inside. If you search 'kiddie pools' on this forum, you will see many good examples.

Mulch: what is it made of? There are certain 'woods' made into mulches that are fine. In any case, it should be untreated.
Organic topsoil works, also coir, cypress mulch.

No vegetables (as in peas, beans, etc.). Focus on weeds (untreated) like chicory, dandelion, mallow, etc., and greens like Mustard, Endive, Escarole, Turnip, Radicchio, Spring mix, etc.

For a good summary and good information:
http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

Be sure to soak him a couple of times per week as long as he is in an inside enclosure, which can be drying. Even if he has access to a water dish, which he should.

RussianTorts

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
lynnedit said:
RussianTorts said:

He is adorable. A kiddie pool would work very well inside. If you search 'kiddie pools' on this forum, you will see many good examples.

Mulch: what is it made of? There are certain 'woods' made into mulches that are fine. In any case, it should be untreated.
Organic topsoil works, also coir, cypress mulch.

No vegetables (as in peas, beans, etc.). Focus on weeds (untreated) like chicory, dandelion, mallow, etc., and greens like Mustard, Endive, Escarole, Turnip, Radicchio, Spring mix, etc.

For a good summary and good information:
http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

Be sure to soak him a couple of times per week as long as he is in an inside enclosure, which can be drying. Even if he has access to a water dish, which he should.

It's red mulch from Lowes. Thank you for the information :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You want to avoid cedar mulch, pine mulch. Fir, cypress are fine.
Mulch colored red might have dyes added?

What do the ingredients actually say?

Status
Not open for further replies.