New tortoise mom

Bcalleros9

Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear, Az
Hi everybody!!!
I signed to this forum to learn more about this lovely tortoise and what you guys do to help them have a healthy growth and most important so you guys can help me with my current issue.

On Monday I bought my tortoise, of course not knowing a lot about them, which I regret not doing my research before. Because I didn’t fed her right neither provide the light they need, she got super sick. Her eyes are super swollen shut closed and haven’t set anything for 3days already. I took her to the vet this morning and said everything was caused by my poor management and I felt terrible. I aldreay bought the heating light and uvb light.

please advise on what can i do to help her get out of this One.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Hello and welcome!

What tortoise did you get ?
Best way for people to try to help is to show us pictures of the tortoise and the enclosure.

We got great help over here so let’s keep fingers crossed.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I'm so sorry that your tortoise is so sick. I'd like to ask you some questions to help us figure out what's wrong.

The first big question is what species of tortoise is he? I want to give you a care sheet, but need to know what he is.

Where did you buy him?
How big is he?
What kind of UVB light have you bought?
When you brought him home on Monday, where did you put him? Type of enclosure and location?
What did the vet do for him? Any shots? What did the vet advise you to do? Was the vet an exotics vet or a regular vet?

It's unusual that a tortoise gets so sick in a day or two after bringing it home. Other than the swollen eyes and not eating, are there any other signs of illness? Runny nose? Lethargy?

Please get pictures of the entire tortoise...from top, front, sides, and rear, along with one from underneath showing all of him, and one from underneath showing the tail area.

Last edited: