New Tortoise Mommy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drxl34

5 Year Member
Hey guys! I just got my first tortoise yesterday and already hooked! Look forward to getting advice from you! I posted another thread but here's michelangelo (creative i know)

http://youtu.be/PjSRpsWUlyQ

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi drxl34:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know where (appx.) in the world you are?

drxl34

5 Year Member
my name is Corinne and I am in college in Philadelphia! (although i go home to MD a lot). Hope there are other east coasters here!

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I'm no expert on Russians as i'm a Red Foot guy, but as a general rule I would never leave food down all day. Could attract bugs and get messy. You should just feed him once a day and let him eat whatever he can in around 30 minutes then pick up the remaining food.

The bookshelf is a good idea that a lot of people use and yours looks like a good size.

This is a good thread to read through for their diet.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Russian-tortoise-diet--42266#axzz1nyTaqmNk

drxl34

5 Year Member
EddieW said:
I'm no expert on Russians as i'm a Red Foot guy, but as a general rule I would never leave food down all day. Could attract bugs and get messy. You should just feed him once a day and let him eat whatever he can in around 30 minutes then pick up the remaining food.

The bookshelf is a good idea that a lot of people use and yours looks like a good size.

Ok thanks! I will leave it out a little extra this week so he gets used to it then just go to "feeding" time.

I have another question, could I put another species of tortoise with him or just another russian? Thanks!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Welcome! You may consider a few more hiding places - perhaps some plants (real or fake) - and a couple thermometers to keep track of basking vs. overall enclosure temps?

I'd provide a water dish, but like EddieW, I'm also a redfoot guy. We'll see what other Russian tort keepers say.

Here's a good site for plants:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
Fake are great too.

drxl34

5 Year Member
I will add some water and I have a thermometer now. I think I am going to try out some interior designing ;)

How do you guys handle your tortoise? Is it ok if I just let him walk around the apartment for a while?

Jessie

5 Year Member
drxl34 said:
EddieW said:

Ok thanks! I will leave it out a little extra this week so he gets used to it then just go to "feeding" time.

I have another question, could I put another species of tortoise with him or just another russian? Thanks!

Welcome, I'm a russian owner as well. :) They are great.
As for your question...
NEVER mix species. They have different diseases and one could end up sick or even dead if not both. Good question though. I'm glad you asked before actually making this terrible mistake.

drxl34

5 Year Member
Jessie said:
drxl34 said:
EddieW said:

Welcome, I'm a russian owner as well. :) They are great.
As for your question...
NEVER mix species. They have different diseases and one could end up sick or even dead if not both. Good question though. I'm glad you asked before actually making this terrible mistake.

Oh thanks! I saw youtube videos of people mixing I just assumed it was ok. Is it ok to add a younger/smaller tortoise?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

If you put a smaller/younger tort of the same species... watch carefully for Bullying, if this happens, you'll have to kepp them seperated till thier about the same size and re-introduce them and try again...Warning.... you may always have to keep them seperate! (Russians right?)

drxl34

5 Year Member
yes, russian. That would be terrible if I had to separate forever.. I wouldn't mind at first but anyway to prevent bullying? I generally don't like having loners.. all my enclosures/tanks have a pair (with the exception of my male beardie).

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tortoises as a rule are loners. Russians and Sulcatas are especially so, and even worse if there are multiple males and not enough females (a 3:1 ratio is good)

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
welcome ... my female does most of the bullying , but i think he just lets her get her way most of the time ... its mostly spots that they both like to lay at now , before it was food but two dishes helped that ...

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I have three red foots and I have always kept them together and had no problems but from what I've read and researched, red foots are more tolerant of being around more of their own kind unlike other breeds of tortoises like russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.