New user

canicke

Hi. Picked up a couple of month old leo torts about 2 months ago. I go by canicke. They go by (curious) George and Dora (the explorer). No - i dont know their sexes. The were both doin ok until about oh 10 days ago. Really slowed down. Not as active. Hardly eat. My bearded dragon is unconscious too but i didnt thin the torts went down? I miss them all! So much to learn. I want them to be with me for a long time. Battery's dyin. Ta ta for now

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

The usual explanation for a baby tortoise to not be eating is because he's not warm enough. Go back over all your tortoise-keeping and make sure the floor of the habitat stays above 75F all over. I like to have it be around 100F directly under the light, fading to about 85F on one end of the habitat and down to about 75F on the other. Tortoises won't eat if they know they can't warm their core temp up to at least 85F degrees.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome canicke:). These guys don't hibernate if that's what you mean by go down. Yvonne had a good suggestion. I look forward to seeing pictures:)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Canicke welcome to the TFO from AZ
The advice you have gotten is good I cannt add to it
Great choice in torts and good luck

canicke

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. I use under tank heat mats for the geckos - would that be advisable? Have adjusted the lamps (down) for increase heat. Was kinda concerned about winding up with tortoise on the half shell. Pics will follow. Super tech savvy i aint. Location? South of tucson az. North of mexico

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising of your Leo's, with the correct temps and humidity

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome canicke! Glad you found the forum. Best place ever for education and dialogue to help you help your babies to thrive. You already got some great advice, above. By some of our experts. Please read those important threads. Keep your temps as Yvonne has stated. Make sure you soak your babies also, it's like spa for them, warm and soothing, and have humidity in the enclosure. Vital. We think babies in the wild are in little microclimates hiding from being someone's food source and they therefore get lotsa hot (desert) and humid. And dehydrated tortoises seem to evolve into lumpy tortoises. Recommend the closed chamber method. Working. For me. Leopards do not brumate/hibernate/bruminate and even if they did, you do not want a new to you tortoise to go down until you are sure of their health and habits, and even then, some folks do not let them, to be safe and not sad (some die). Lots to read and feel free to ask questions. Operators are standing by, LOL. : )

canicke

I am soo glad i found you folks! What a great positive feedback and so nice, too. Got temps up. Got lid on. Need new set up im thinkin. Did a baby food sask tonite. To be repeated am pm ad infinitum (until improvement is seen). 'Preciate prayers. Thx

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man. I am so sorry about George. That sucks. Babies are very fragile. So many factors come into play. They need warmth, and they need humid so the warmth does not fry them. And then, you never know what happened those first crucial hours and days after they hatch. Unknowing breeders set them up for death from the get go with little things that do not get done. Concentrate on Dora. Hopefully, she/he can get better. Please keep us updated. Again, so sorry. So sad. : (

canicke

Dora is doing much better. My gratitude for all your suggestions. This site snd you all rock! Happy Christmas Eve

canicke

How do i start a ne

Sir - i am new to torts and this site. I have been reading (a lot) of info on here and have a question , if you dont mind. On one thread you indicated that you have leopards, pancakes and more. It seemed as if you might have been implying that you have them all together. I thought mixing breeds was strictly forbidden. ??? Could i trouble you for some additional information, please?

canicke

Turn for the worse. Dora died today.
Im sad. Very sad.

I'll be back maybe next spring. Maybe start with some older torts. Im usually very good with critters. It really bothers me that their lives were entrusted to me and i failed them.