Newbie checking in.

Wilk1519

Location (City and/or State)
Bedfordshire
Hi

We’ve taken in a small Tortoise with the aim of giving it a good home with our 2 small boys.
Unfortunately we have little information from her previous owner who believes she’s around 2 years old. They had her for just over a year and i was told she was tiny when they got her…. Apart from that not a lot of information.

I’m happy to read up in more detail on here and through trusted google but would just like some input from anyone.

Evie…. Is a 10cm long girl and weighs 240g.
Looking at a few images I believe she’s a young Horsefield Tortoise? But would like some confirmation on this.

Believed to be around 2 years of age?

Any pointers to start me off.

How long typically do, if she is 2, young tortoises require under a Heat lamp?
4-6 hours a day?

I’ve got the heat lamp set 15inches from the base.

Currently in an open draw, is this adequate?
I’ve read they (young tortoises) require an enclosed space to keep the temperature up?
Not really sure on that so could do with some advice.

Feeding I believe is twice a day, mixture of greens etc and a few pellets now and again.
We’ve got some calcium dust to sprinkle too.
small amounts only.

Hibernation, I’ve read that this doesn’t happen until they reach four years or so of age? This correct?

no doubt need some more tips as we go but would appreciate a few starters.

must go, got an outdoor pen to build.

thanks in advance.

mark0BC19269-2BBA-4393-9EAD-ECE60000A560.jpegF83D69DE-DBC0-40A9-8C81-FACE53A0CEDE.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a Russian. You need to read the russian care sheet and make lots of changes. She needs a closed chamber with humidity.

Wilk1519

Bedfordshire
That is a Russian. You need to read the russian care sheet and make lots of changes. She needs a closed chamber with humidity.
Hi, thanks for responding.
I’ve been reading through and happy to take your advice.
At what age do we look at keeping her in an open enclosure.
I read varied comments to say she should be in and enclosure with humidity for her first year and then open enclosure after that?

also read that her heat lamp should be left on for around 12-14 hours.
Her last career advised 4-5 hours.

in short.
I’m glad I found this forum site.
I’ll have her well looked after in no time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well I would keep her in a closed chamber at least a year possibly 2 years. However, I have only raised leopards from hatchling size and they stay 2 too 3 years in closed chamber.
My russian was already an adult.
@Tom should be able to help you better with that.
As for lights, yes, I do twelve hours when mine are inside for winter.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
The caresheet is the most up to date you'll find anywhere and if you follow that Evie should not just survive but thrive.
Babies tend to do better in vivs so that the temps and humidity can be controlled - it must be large enough to give her space to roam which is essential for digestion and bone health. After the viv an enclosure minimum size of 4 x 8 feet is needed, but the bigger the better and escape proof as they are great climbers. They like moist (not wet) substrate deep enough for them to dig into and a terracotta plant saucer sunk lever with the substrate will be easier and safer for her to access and exit. There are lots of good examples of set ups in the Enclosures Thread
What sort of lamp are you using?
Coiled and cfl types can damage tort eyes and the all-in-one MVB bulbs can dry and damage shells, so T5HO tube is recommended with a separate flood basking bulb. When the temps drop, a Ceramic heater run through a thermostat is great for night heat only because torts need darkness to sleep. The caresheet will give you the recommended temps and a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe will monitor temps at tort level. A digital temp gun is also great or spot checking temps.
You'll probably also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful for finding tort safe plants.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi, thanks for responding.
I’ve been reading through and happy to take your advice.
At what age do we look at keeping her in an open enclosure.
I read varied comments to say she should be in and enclosure with humidity for her first year and then open enclosure after that?

also read that her heat lamp should be left on for around 12-14 hours.
Her last career advised 4-5 hours.

in short.
I’m glad I found this forum site.
I’ll have her well looked after in no time.
Welcome to the forum @Wilk1519

You’ve received some good advice here. Definitely 4 to 5 hours per day for the heat lamp is not enough. It should be on for 12 to 14 hours per day. I have a Hermann’s tortoise which is very similar in care to your Russian. I leave my lights and heat on for 14 hours per day. The whole purpose for the closed chamber is to make it easier to maintain heat and humidity which is so important for delicate baby tortoises. Humidity is the major contributing factor to the tortoises shell not being pyramided. Once the tortoise is closer to full grown it’s more safe to go with an open topped enclosure, IF your home environment is such that you can still easily maintain the required heat and humidity that the tortoise requires. Tortoises all grow at different rates, so that’s why we can’t really give an exact age that it’s ok to move it to an open enclosure. My Hermann’s just turned 2 in May but he’s close to 700 grams and 6.5 inches long, so I have had him in an open topped enclosure for some time already. A friend of mine has a Hermann’s tortoise that’s just 3 months younger than mine but is only 200 grams. So her little one has different requirements than my big guy even though they’re the same age. One tip I can give right away is that your tortoise will be more comfortable in the enclosure with substrate deep enough to burrow in. The substrate should be 5 to 6 inches deep. I know all of this information can be overwhelming. I can reassure you though, that you’ve come to the right place to give your new tortoise a wonderful life. We are here to help you every step of the way.

Wilk1519

Bedfordshire
Thanks for the heads up advice.
Frustrating that the people looking after her before us had little clue.
But happy to have her now and get her sorted and comfortable.

milk keep you updated

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up advice.
Frustrating that the people looking after her before us had little clue.
But happy to have her now and get her sorted and comfortable.

milk keep you updated
Welcome from Devon.
Tortoises are grazing animals, so it would be a good idea to keep food out always available - especially while she is little. Just put a bit out at a time, and keep topping it up - it will dry out if left too long,
I love her little house !
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Little update.
Thanks for all your advice.
New house, UVB light just to start.
Moving a lot more and seems to be injoying her new home.

View attachment 331838
Great - she will be much happier with more space. However you have what looks like an aluminium pie plate - is that for her water? If so, she will be tipping it over in no time - or pushing herself underneath it -not good for your substrate ! People on this forum often suggest a terracotta saucer - like the ones put under flowerpots. A fairly large one would be best, but obviously with shallow water.
Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good upgrade! You can replace that aluminum container with a plastic or clay plant saucer for water. Add a potted plant or two for decoration plus gives them a better sense of security not being so open. You can place a large ceramic tile to put the food on.

The tortoise looks in pretty good shape. Bear in mind that this is a small species, and isn't going to get very big.

What substrate have you put in there? My substrate of choice is fir bark (Reptibark).

Wilk1519

Bedfordshire
Great - she will be much happier with more space. However you have what looks like an aluminium pie plate - is that for her water? If so, she will be tipping it over in no time - or pushing herself underneath it -not good for your substrate ! People on this forum often suggest a terracotta saucer - like the ones put under flowerpots. A fairly large one would be best, but obviously with shallow water.
Angie
Thanks.
Yes your eyes do not trick you.
How ever it was a brief make do while we popped to B&Q.
Larger dish installed along with some deeper substrate.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Where did you get the updated enclosure from? and How are the lights being placed on top?