Newbie torto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy12

5 Year Member
Hi, I've just started keeping tortoise, indian star i think, i just found out that they are not for beginners. it's too late now, but i'll do my best to take care of them. I hope to learn a lot from everybody here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Andy12 and welcome to the Forum!

I sense that you are not in the U.S. Please don't be intimidated by the fact that you've learned that star tortoises are not a beginner tortoise. If you learn all you can about caring for him and provide him what he needs to thrive you should not have any problems raising your new tortoise. I'd love to see pictures of the tortoise and how you have him set up in his habitat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) I can't help you with your species, however, there are many here that can and will. You have joined a great forum, with great members that are always willing to help.

andy12

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Andy12 and welcome to the Forum!

I sense that you are not in the U.S. Please don't be intimidated by the fact that you've learned that star tortoises are not a beginner tortoise. If you learn all you can about caring for him and provide him what he needs to thrive you should not have any problems raising your new tortoise. I'd love to see pictures of the tortoise and how you have him set up in his habitat.

emysemys, I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, i just got it last week, its rainy season here at the moment until around april, we dont have a lot of rain but its cloudy almost everyday. currently i'm keeping them in a small size aquarium 1.5'x1'x1'. with 50watt basking light, been trying to get powersun or solar glo but its out of stock everywhere. the light is on 24hour, i let him soaked in warm water twice a day, in the morning and in the afternoon.

IMG_0583_zps6e5445f2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andy:

Your tortoise needs a day/night cycle for his mental well-being. If your house is around 70F degrees at night, you won't need any light. If it gets cooler than that, you can use a black or red light, or a ceramic heat emitter.

Your tortoise is very pretty!

andy12

5 Year Member
Hi Emysemys thank you for your advice, I will do that and I will move him to a bigger. Enclosure to provide a cool area.

Status
Not open for further replies.