Gemma King

Hello I am totally new to the tortoise world I have just got a Herman called Sheldon. I am told he's 6 I got him from a friend of a friend as she was getting rid of him. But since I've had him he has only just eaten for the first time today so that's 5 days without eating is that normal and he's always hiding in his cave? I put him out in my garden today and he seemed to live it so hopefully he's coming round to is now Xx Any help is hugely appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Gemma, and welcome to the Forum!

As you've discovered, tortoises just do much better outside. If at all possible set him up outdoors in a safe and secure habitat. Quite a few folks keep tortoises in their gardens.

Gemma King

Thank you. Yeah I am going to make him a run in the garden and going to look at getting an outside house.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome The not eating for a few days is quite normal, specially for an older one getting adjusted to a new home.

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Thank you. Yeah I am going to make him a run in the garden and going to look at getting an outside house.
There's loads of information on here for housing outside. And also lots of things to take from all the pictures and steal for your own use in your wonderful got everything tortoise enclosure muwahahaha