Status
Not open for further replies.

bexby

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the whole forum thing, but I found this one while I was looking for info about what is best to feed tortoises.

As a family we've always had exotic pets. At present we've got:
1 dog
1 cat
6 rats
4 finches
2 budgies
2 parrots
And 1 pigmy hedgehog

Two days ago I got a nine year old horsefield. I've re homed him, he's had previous owners, the latest had only had him a year and didn't have time anymore, so I took him in. He's called Herman just to be confusing though!

I've done all the research but as a new owner I'm getting worried over the little things.
So sorry if I post anything that seems a bit simple!

Thanks,
Becky and Herman

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Becky:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The very best diet is to allow your Russian tortoise to graze outside on broad-leaf greens, weeds and plants. At nine years of age, your new tortoise is big enough to live outside full time. They can stay out even when the weather isn't "perfect." They get along pretty good in cooler weather, but not wet and cool. So a secondary habitat in the house is a good thing.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the forum :)
Feel free to ask any questions, you can go thru our Russian threads and get some great info.
At nine your tortoise can live outside full time, you can feed grass, weeds, cactus, mazuri and anything else you
can come up with or see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.