newby looking for horsefield owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleweed4743

5 Year Member
hello I have a horsefield called bob I want to know if its normal that he sleeps all night then maybe comes out of the bedroom if we are lucky is not really eating and if we put him outside hes as fast as a rocket can anyone let me know if thats normal hes only about 2 years old we keep it in a tortoise table with a mixed uv/basking light and a heat pad in the bedroom area on the roof ie above it he just seems so sleepy thanks

Attachments

• DSC03382.JPG
    DSC03382.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi littleweed 4743:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Its a little hard for me to understand what you're asking, because you haven't used any punctuation. Hard to know when you're starting a new thought, or continuing the old thought.

If I'm reading it correctly, your tortoise lives indoors in a tort table. He sleeps all night, then comes out in the morning - maybe. When you take him outside he moves very fast. You have a heating pad under the hiding place and a UV/basking light over the habitat.

Is that what you're saying?

I see a couple things wrong with your tortoise-keeping, and it has made your little 2 year old tortoise grow pretty bumpy. The substrate you're using isn't good. Its too late to fix the bumpiness (pyramiding) now, because the time to fix it would have been in the first year of the tortoise's life. But you can make him more comfortable by getting a different substrate. Something easier for him to walk on and to dig into...something you can moisten.

Young tortoises are prey, and because of that, they hide a lot. The reason he moves so fast outside is because he's afraid something is going to get him and he doesn't know where to go to be safe.

Take a look at some of the tort tables here on the forum, and make some corrections accordingly. Once your tortoise feels safe in his environment, and gets used to a normal routine, you should see more of him.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.