Night basking

Donatello2022

Location (City and/or State)
Ocean View, DE
I’ve a DB terrapin hatchling few months old Been using a red light at night since I didn’t have a water heater yet for this setup. Noticed he seemed to stop basking until a night ago I see him basking around mid night under the red light… I’ve keep the regular basking light at a distance that matches the temperature the red light makes the basking area, but it just seems to prefer doing it at night… is this unusual or more importantly can it be unhealthy for it? Elsewise it is active eats good seems all around healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve a DB terrapin hatchling few months old Been using a red light at night since I didn’t have a water heater yet for this setup. Noticed he seemed to stop basking until a night ago I see him basking around mid night under the red light… I’ve keep the regular basking light at a distance that matches the temperature the red light makes the basking area, but it just seems to prefer doing it at night… is this unusual or more importantly can it be unhealthy for it? Elsewise it is active eats good seems all around healthy.
Colored bulbs shouldn't be used over chelonians. Not during the day or night. They have better color vision than we do and it messes with their brains in several ways. If you need night heat, use a CHE and check the temp under it carefully as they run hot.

Donatello2022

Ocean View, DE
Colored bulbs shouldn't be used over chelonians. Not during the day or night. They have better color vision than we do and it messes with their brains in several ways. If you need night heat, use a CHE and check the temp under it carefully as they run hot.
Thanks for the response. I’ve a water heater for him now I’ll ditch the colored light all together now.