Night light

Xsvwill

I got a new Russian Tort 3 days ago, and I have been using the zoo med power sun 100w light about 12 hours during the day, and then a night bulb that is 75w and is supposed to imitate the moon. Petsmart told me she needed it, but after reading deeper info I'm not so sure. Is it needed or[/align] recommended for a russian tort to have a night time bulb, or is it better not to have one?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Most recommend a CHE that does not give off light to allow total darkness if you need heat. Russians from my understanding do well if the temps drop at night not allowing the temps to drop lower than 65 degrees. Hoping someone will correct me if I am wrong. I do not have a Russisn but have been reading up on care on the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you bought your Russian tortoise at a pet store, chances are good that it is almost full grown. A full grown, or almost grown Russian tortoise usually doesn't need night time heat (unless, like Tom said in an earlier post, you live in a refrigerator). They do quite nicely with a drop in temp at night time.

The day light and time you have it on is fine.