Nose blocked

melyssaandmorla

20160726_201235.jpg Morla seems to have a blocked nose, its like shed but covering almost one nostril completly. I soaked him hoping it would help but I'm not sure what to do now. Any ideas?
Thanks

melyssaandmorla

How about bumping up heat/humidity/spaking, let the stuff get soft and wipe it off with clean moist cloth
I'll give it a try, I'll adjust his heat tomorrow and spray him really well. Thanks for the suggestion :) hopefully its an easy fix :p

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I'll give it a try, I'll adjust his heat tomorrow and spray him really well. Thanks for the suggestion :) hopefully its an easy fix :p
Dang! I meant "soaking"!!! Anyway, after you get everything mice, soft and mushy, if if the nose booger doesn't come out with just wiping like baby snotty nose, then maybe try a baby bulb syringe to suction it out?!

Pearly

5 Year Member
It kind of looks like you said "spanking"! lol!
Yeah right?! I can just hear myself saying this in a very serois tone of voice: "My advise is: grab your tort by it's hind legs and while suspended up in the air, swiftly deliver vigorous SPANKING! That's is sure to dislodge the nose booger and send the sucker flying accross the room"

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Dang! I meant "soaking"!!! Anyway, after you get everything mice, soft and mushy, if if the nose booger doesn't come out with just wiping like baby snotty nose, then maybe try a baby bulb syringe to suction it out?!
Wtheck is "serois"? What the heck is that? What the heck is mice, soft and mushy??? Must have "serois" keyboard malfunctions! :D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
In all seriousness, I have read somewhere that in Gopher torts, mycoplasma are causing tissue erosion and scar tissue blockage in the nostrils of infected animals from the chronic respiratory illness.

melyssaandmorla

In all seriousness, I have read somewhere that in Gopher torts, mycoplasma are causing tissue erosion and scar tissue blockage in the nostrils of infected animals from the chronic respiratory illness.
I doesn't have any nasal discharge and can still breathe through his nose fine. He dose breathe heavy every now and again but I've already had him checked out by a vet for that. Ill for sure keep a close eye on him though. Thanks, at least if it is something serious Ill know what to do

Pearly

5 Year Member
Wtheck is "serois"? What the heck is that? What the heck is mice, soft and mushy??? Must have "serois" keyboard malfunctions! :D
Ok, Professor:) you know darn well what I meant! And I give up with that spellchecker! But this one is nothing comparing to my work tablet that changes any narrative text into completely idiotic "word salad". I have yet to figure out if I can disable that thing. And serious now: I didn't know about the mycoplasma thing. I'm glad you posted it. Hopefully the OP's tort just got some mud or soft food in there that few "baby care tricks" will get out, but it is good to be aware of the potential for bigger problems. Anyway, i always like to know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 181505 Morla seems to have a blocked nose, its like shed but covering almost one nostril completly. I soaked him hoping it would help but I'm not sure what to do now. Any ideas?
Thanks

You can gently pick it out with a tooth pick. Then flush it sharply with a squeeze bottle of saline solution.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It really looks like it might just be the shell covering part of the nostril. If your tortoise doesn't seem bothered by it and you've tried everything else, then I wouldn't worry too much. Does your tortoise seem bothered at all??

Pearly

5 Year Member
I doesn't have any nasal discharge and can still breathe through his nose fine. He dose breathe heavy every now and again but I've already had him checked out by a vet for that. Ill for sure keep a close eye on him though. Thanks, at least if it is something serious Ill know what to do
I'd try to clear that nostril but would definitely pay attention to what Brian has posted about mycoplasma and RI's. Just watch your pet closely for any signs of a resp. problems

melyssaandmorla

It really looks like it might just be the shell covering part of the nostril. If your tortoise doesn't seem bothered by it and you've tried everything else, then I wouldn't worry too much. Does your tortoise seem bothered at all??
His nose whistlys from time to time and when I tried getting it out he kinda ran around in circles for a bit all upset at me lol but hes eating still, still active so idk

Pearly

5 Year Member
His nose whistlys from time to time and when I tried getting it out he kinda ran around in circles for a bit all upset at me lol but hes eating still, still active so idk
Hmmm.., this makes me think that this maybe some permanent growth or... What Brian was saying... Try with humidity/bath/softening-scoop-it-out-and-off, and if with that you meet too much resistance without tugging and tearing, then perhaps a vet visit?

melyssaandmorla

Hmmm.., this makes me think that this maybe some permanent growth or... What Brian was saying... Try with humidity/bath/softening-scoop-it-out-and-off, and if with that you meet too much resistance without tugging and tearing, then perhaps a vet visit?
Yeah for sure I'll try that, he doesn't even seem to notice so at least there's that :p