Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
I got my Russian tortoise last christmas, he was fine. And now he isnt eating his food pellets or leafy greens! Help!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! To even start to give you any valuable information, could you first give us a few details. What does the tortoise live in? How big? substrate? Hides? Lights? how hot is the warmest side of his enclosure? Cool side? night temps? How long is the light on? Is he inside or outside? If inside, does he get time outside? How big is he?

What have you been feeding him? Any supplements like calcium on his food? How long has he not been eating?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bubba_Love:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The usual cause of a tortoise that had been eating and now isn't, is temperature. Are you keeping the habitat at about 85F on one end and room temperature on the other end? Better yet...can you set him up outside so he can graze? You'd be surprised what being outside does for a depressed tortoise.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
Well, when we got him, Petsmart said he was a baby. He's about 4 or 5 inches long. He lives in a glass aquarium in my room with a heat light. The highest temp is about 85, lowest is about 65. He sleeps in/behind a wood tunnel. He usually digs behind it.
He eats a brand called Tortoise Food. Its got rainbow pellets. They are calcium. I put them in his home daily. I also feed him reptile sticks (also calcium). He has water daily, and greens such as lettuce, kale, some green beans and carrots.
Here are some pictures of him

image-2921348028.png

image-2748331614.png

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
I live in indiana. And he lives inside. I take him outside a lot though and he eats grass.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, a couple of major problems are becoming clear. First what size is his tank?

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
Call me Julia. I live in Indiana. My tortoise is about 4 to 5 inches long. He lives in a glass aquarium. Its about 3 feet long, 2 feet wide. I have a heat lamp on all day, from about 8 am to 10 pm. The temperature reaches 85 degrees, the lowest is 65 (at night). Bubba sleeps under/behind a wood tunnel we bought. He burrows behind it and it constantly there.
I feed him a hand full of round pellets. They have calcium. And other calcium pellets. I feed him lettuce, kale, green beans and carrots daily. He goes outside every couple of days. He eats grass and flowers.
Lately his eating habits have not been well. He wont eat anything I give him. He is a very picky tortoise. He only eats certain colored round pellets. He wont eat at all if they are all put in one bowl. They must be separated. I hope this information helps..

image-3504655263.png

chicagojohn

5 Year Member
Bubba_Love said:
Call me Julia. I live in Indiana. My tortoise is about 4 to 5 inches long. He lives in a glass aquarium. Its about 3 feet long, 2 feet wide. I have a heat lamp on all day, from about 8 am to 10 pm. The temperature reaches 85 degrees, the lowest is 65 (at night). Bubba sleeps under/behind a wood tunnel we bought. He burrows behind it and it constantly there.
I feed him a hand full of round pellets. They have calcium. And other calcium pellets. I feed him lettuce, kale, green beans and carrots daily. He goes outside every couple of days. He eats grass and flowers.
Lately his eating habits have not been well. He wont eat anything I give him. He is a very picky tortoise. He only eats certain colored round pellets. He wont eat at all if they are all put in one bowl. They must be separated. I hope this information helps..

View attachment 23701

Where does one start? Why did you decide to get a tortoise? I'm really curious, Julia. I live in Illinois, by the way.

What exactly are these round pellets?

I certainly hope this isn't some sort of joke.

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
Well, I have always loved turtles and torts. My parents bought him for me for Christmas as a present. The round pellets are called Tortoise food. They have calcium and plant and fruit ingredients. This isnt a joke. This is my first tortoise. Is this bad? Am I doing anything wrong?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Bubba_Love said:
Well, I have always loved turtles and torts. My parents bought him for me for Christmas as a present. The round pellets are called Tortoise food. They have calcium and plant and fruit ingredients. This isnt a joke. This is my first tortoise. Is this bad? Am I doing anything wrong?

Hi Julia, there are a few things you should work on to help improve your tortoises quality of living. First of all, temperatures play a big part in your torts health. There are four temperatures you need to know, not guess, but know. Your tortoise regulates its body heat by moving into and out of the sun/light depending on it's needs. You should create this gradient in your enclosure. At its hottest or basking spot, you should be 95*-105*, warm side around 80*, cool side in the 70* range and nighttime even cooler for Russians. You don't have your temperatures right and I bet that's why your tortoise is not eating.

You should also provide your tortoise with an outdoor enclosure that is safe from predators. Your tortoise wiill benefit greatly by being outside when the weather permits.

In my opinion, your indoor enclosure is too small. Ideally you should have at minimum 4' x 2'. You should also be providing UVB light if your tortoise is indoors only.

You should be offering a much better diet. If you know a part of your yard that is insecticide/pesticide free, you can pick some weeds that are safe, like dandelion. If you have no weeds, use spring mix from the grocery store and rotate a different tort safe green every week, like turnip greens, collards, kale, mustards. Russian torts cannot digest sugar. Carrots are high in sugar, fees only as a rare treat.

It sounds like a lot, but it's just a few adjustments. Once you make them your tortoise will be a lot healthier :)

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness, thank you! I had no idea anything was wrong! That helps so much. I have one more question, he is peeling? His skin is peeling off. I'm not sure if he is just growing or what. If you also know any answers to that it would help so much. Thank you by the way.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Bubba_Love said:
Oh my goodness, thank you! I had no idea anything was wrong! That helps so much. I have one more question, he is peeling? His skin is peeling off. I'm not sure if he is just growing or what. If you also know any answers to that it would help so much. Thank you by the way.

Peeling is normal

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
Phew! What a relief. Thank you. I will definently work on the temperatures, feeding and enclosures.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I see while I have been gone, that you have gotten some good advise. I do want to say, the care you have given him while not exactly correct, were still in the sorta okay stage. You however went from doing that to coming here to get some much better information, which I bet your already working on implementing and in the end that is what matters. Not the past care, but what you do for him from this point forward. We all make mistakes, learning from them is what is important.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We all make mistakes? I beg to differ I am perfect.
I would switch out the tank, an old bookcase or nice big plastic container would be better. Forget what petsmart says they don't sell babies only wild caught imports. Russians tend to like weeds and flowers (hibiscus is a particular favorite) and leaves of various plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.