Odd behavior of my tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki54

5 Year Member
I am new to this website and joined in an attempt to get answers to an recent issue that has just arisen with my Mediterranean Spur Thigh tortoise. I would like to preface by noting he is a rescue that I received from a friend who was taking care of him before she had to move. Since then I have had him for roughly 4-5 years with little problems other than creating a larger enclosure for him. Just recently, he has been exhibiting a ramming type behavior into the side of the enclosure. As I am no expert in the matter I am reaching out to see if I can find some answers to the issue at hand. He receives a steady diet of kale, escarole, prickly pear, berries on occasion, and it is all supplemented with TNT powder. His light source is a zoo med power sun and his substrate is typically coconut fiber or shredded paper. If anyone could give me some insight into the issues I am facing I would highly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Loki

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Can you post a pic of your enclosure and also your tort. How big is he?

Loki54

5 Year Member
I have these pictures attached. When my friend originally got him as a rescue as I had stated earlier he had been neglected and had some pyramiding of the shell and was calcium deficient. Together we nursed him back and he has been active and had good temperament up to this point. That is why I am very stressed and upset about the recent behavior exhibited. The picture of him by my hand would make him at about 6-6.5 inches in length.

Loki54

5 Year Member
I have these pictures attached. When my friend originally got him as a rescue as I had stated earlier he had been neglected and had some pyramiding of the shell and was calcium deficient. Together we nursed him back and he has been active and had good temperament up to this point. That is why I am very stressed and upset about the recent behavior exhibited.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We posted at the same time, so i didn't see your pics before I posted. Larger enclosure, larger water dish and some plants for coverage and to make him feel more secure may help too.

Loki54

5 Year Member
How much larger of an enclosure it is currently 4' x 4'. And can you give me some direction for a place to purchase plants. That picture is older I have 2 potted synthetics and one that I have hanging from where the rebar is for the light. Any direction would be super helpful! I appreciate the speed of the reply. Do they sell like a wallpaper of sorts that looks like foliage I can place around the perimeter?

Also, I have been using the coconut fiber as substrate. And I find that it gets dry and turns very cloudy. Do you have a suggestion of a different bedding that won't dust up as much. I know of people that used like shredded paper, what are your thoughts on that?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
IMO, 4' x 4' is big enough for one six inch tortoise....but the enclosure is very bare. I don't know what it looks like currently, but he needs lots more hiding places and coverage.

Loki54

5 Year Member
Any ideas on plant types or sites to purchase stuff. Any direction would be super helpful!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I can't help you with that really, because I cheat and use fake plants! Maybe someone else can help with that.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No, I just usually go to my local craft store and see what they have.

Loki54

5 Year Member
I took your advice and went to a local craft store to pick up some synthetic plants and foliage to install into the enclosure. I also changed the bedding as well. Unfortunately he is still continuing the same behavior as before. If anyone could give me any more advice that would be great. Attached is a picture of the renovation.

Loki54

5 Year Member
To update, I am still experiencing the same behavior as before. However, I noticed recently as in today he has began ramming when I allow him to roam in my kitchen. He has done it against a variety of surfacrs such as brown paper grocery bags and the wooden trim within the room itself. As I said before I am really hoping someone could give me some insight into this issue. I read up on it a bit and was wondering if hibernation had something to do with this odd behavior.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It MIGHT be that being in good health now from better care, he is feeling like breeding and is frustrated because he can't find a female. Ramming is sometimes a precursor to breeding activity.

My computer is acting up this a.m. and it won't open any pictures, so I'm unable to see your pictures to give a better comment, sorry.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Loki54 said:
Any ideas on plant types or sites to purchase stuff. Any direction would be super helpful!

Where are you located? If you are in the US, there are many varieties of small house plants available at store like Lowes and Home Depot. You just have to be careful to buy the ones he will either not eat or if he does, the ones he can eat. I use a lot of Ice plants, purselane (sp?) and cactus with out spines. Aloe is a good one but he will tear it up! They love some aloe.
If you are in another country I am not so sure but you could try Amazon or ebay? Tesco in Poland sold plants, not sure about other countries.

Loki54

5 Year Member
In regards to the breeding, is there any way to hault him from this behavior if that is the root of it? Or do I basically have to let him ride it out. Like I said before he has taken to ramming in other rooms other than his enclosure as I highlighted in my last post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can try to find something that is similar in shape to a tortoise, same size has he is, like a smooth river rock, or even a little tortoise statue. Some male tortoises take out their frustrations on objects like this.

Loki54

5 Year Member
Before heading out to work today I placed a rock sculpture from my room that resembles the shape of a tort. I placed it rough side down so the smooth side is facing upward. Hopefully this has some impact on the behavior exhibited. I will provide updates as often as possible. I can say that the frequency of the ramming has started to drop since reworking the enclosure with plants and allowing him to run free on a daily basis. However, the behavior is still continuing. I appreciate all of the input from everyone up to this point you guys rock!

Loki54

5 Year Member
To update, since adding the rock resembling a tort and making all the changes I can happily say the ramming has come to a hault. He seems very much normal and is using the shaded spots I created to hide and whatnot. As stated in an earlier post, I just want to thank everyone for all of their input on the issue I was having. I really do not know what I would have done without your help!

Loki

Status
Not open for further replies.