Optimum Humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athena

5 Year Member
What is the best humidity for Greeks? I've heard drastically different things and I know the too much or too little can lead to problems, suggestions?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Do you know what subspecies or region of the Greeks geographical region that your tortoise is from? The geographic region that they're from can make a difference in humidity and temperature requirements.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
What is the humidity recommended for a Testudo Graeca Terrestris? Thanks

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Generally, most Middle Eastern Greek subspecies do best at ambient humidity levels of 50-60%. Some suggest as low as 40% but with humidty this low young tortoises with low body mass often struggle to remain well hydrated. Some people keep an indoor enclosure fairly dry and warm but spray hide areas or provide mounds of moss that retain moisture for the tortoises to burrow into in order to be exposed to some moisture. Moisture is fine with Middle Eastern Greeks as long as temperatures are not too low, below 65 or so.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Generally, most Middle Eastern Greek subspecies do best at ambient humidity levels of 50-60%. Some suggest as low as 40% but with humidty this low young tortoises with low body mass often struggle to remain well hydrated. Some people keep an indoor enclosure fairly dry and warm but spray hide areas or provide mounds of moss that retain moisture for the tortoises to burrow into in order to be exposed to some moisture. Moisture is fine with Middle Eastern Greeks as long as temperatures are not too low, below 65 or so.

Thank you!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
The key is to have the hide on the cool side of the enclosure to be pretty dry... because wet and cold is not good for them. I have the 'middle' hides in the mid range of the enclosure humid, and every few days I provide a warm 'rain storm' from the misting bottle I use for our chameleon.

From what I know, Greeks are less likely to get shell rot than e.g. Russians... if their surrounding is too cold and wet, they more likely show symptoms of URI.

Status
Not open for further replies.