Our little buddy. :)

Wannabezero14

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums and I'm so excited to see so much tortoise love! My husband and I acquired our cute little guy in August of last year and we are definitely still learning. His name is Wrex and we love him very much. :)
We got him from a pet shop and the man who sold him to us was a little clueless about anything involving tortoise care... So we have kind of been self teaching...
Our first vet check up went very well the only critique she had was to be sure he had a varied diet and that he eats his pellets. I've been trying to keep his menu varied but its a little difficult in the winter time here in Michigan, especially because he's kind of picky. He likes endive, romaine (which is a little a couple times a week), dandelion greens, turnip greens, zucchini, yellow squash, and radishes. He snubs escarole, spinach, carrots, alfalfa hay, and Kale. Are there any other suggestions for fresh food I can find in the winter?
As far as pellets, he refuses any and all of them I have tried. I've tried to soak them and/or crush them into his greens and he turns his adorable nose up at them and refuses to eat. I've noticed a specific brand everyone has been talking about. Mazuri I think? I was thinking of ordering some. Are there any suggestions? I just worry he's not getting enough nutrition through these winter months and I want him to be happy and healthy. :)
We are working on building him a table that's big enough to keep him happy because what we have at the moment is too small.
I'm so excited to share stories and learn from everyone. Any tips are greatly appreciated. :)
Here's Wrex when we first got him, "hiding", and after a soak. :)

Attachments

• 1452926845996.jpg
    1452926845996.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1452926906181.jpg
    1452926906181.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1452926939656.jpg
    1452926939656.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 18

Wannabezero14

Awesome. We've been using calcium and multi-vitamin powder that they recommended at the Pet Shop. He's not a huge fan, but he tolerates it. Lol. Thank you so much. I'll pick up some radicchio and give it a shot. Here's hoping he likes it. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome Wrex is beautiful!
I'm sure you've found the Russian caresheet which will help you with diet temps humidity and substrate etc. The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is great to learn about the do's and dont's to avoid problems, and the Enclosures thread has lots of good ideas.
There's lots to learn but you have come to the best place for up to date information so read away and ask as many questions as you like someone will get back to you in good time.