Our new Leopard, Flash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morwen13

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Great Falls, MT
We got our baby leopard yesterday! I am so excited. We have named him Flash (I decided to use him until we know what the sex is) and he seems to be settling in well. We have him set up in a smallish box to start with, but will move him into something larger when we figure out where and how we want to set it up. Flash is eating and drinking on his own and wandering around, checking out his new home. I am hoping to find out about how old he is, since I forgot to ask when we got him.Flash 017.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Flash has a LOT of new growth on him. Notice the marbling coloration between the scutes. That's all new growth. They don't have marbling at the hatchling stage. But he doesn't look to be too old. I'd say not older than two, but closer to one. Hes very cute!

Be sure to keep him in a humid hide, or a bit of humidity in the substrate. I raised a leopard from a hatchling, but kept it on oat hay pellets (similar to rabbit pellets), which were very dry. She's about 4 now, and is pretty pyramided.

Yvonne

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
your leopard is gorgeous, his marbling is going to be amazing on his/her shell! humidity is the key. for my substrate for my young leopards is 50/50 sand and eco earth. i usually spray it daily for them and it also keeps humidity well.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Congrats! So very adorable, and love the name. I would try to get as much information from the breeder as you can while the breeder remembers. I regret not doing this. I would want to know hatch date, what the tortoise has been eating, substrate, contact with other tortoises, and if the parents and clutchmates were tested for parasites (you should have this done at a vet regardless). Take lots of pictures as they don't stay small very long. I like the idea of tracing an outline of the tortoise on a sheet of paper in addition to taking weight and SCL measurements weekly. Wish I would have done this for my yearling. Let us know if we can help with the enclosure. I agree to take some time planning it out. If you do a table, I recommend making something very large and only using part of it so it can expand. Otherwise, sequentially larger plastic bins are great, especially the ones that are not clear. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.