Out door enclosure ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PregnantWasp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, UK
Ok I have taken on board what you have all said about the size of Terry's viv. There isn't much space in Liverpool homes I'm afraid to make him his own "Bungalow" but I will do him proud. As I said, he is only in there to sleep and eat, he soon bangs on the glass to tell us he wants to come out!! I am going to build an outdoor space for him, he currently has around 12 foot by 36 foot back yard he roams in, unfortunately there are no plants, grass etc, hence making him a new roaming place. Would 48"x34" with 10" sides, ramp with sides up to it, grass, pansies, clover, water dish, basking stones, shade shelter etc be ok? He will NEVER be left overnight out there, he will be indoors as nights do get cold in the winter as well as the summer. Any suggestions greatly welcomed.

(" being inches)

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
hey your outdor plan sounds great :)

outside we have a yard too and instead of making him a tort run we just cleaned up the yard and i found out from some people on here and some tortoise organisations that if you put some large seed trays with soil in dotted around the yard then thats fine for them and means he has more space to roam as he hates knowing he cant get out of an area :) but we were lucky and already had some plantpots and stuff :)
horaces outdoor coldframe.jpg

for our little Russian though we are in the process of making a tort area similar to how you described as she seems to feel more secure in a fenced off area :)

so its whichever way works best for you and Terry :D be sure to post pics :)

oh and ours never stay over night outside its even colder here lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. Sounds good. If you make a screen top to keep birds and wildlife out you would be able to leave him there all day without having to be watching him the whole time. I bring mine in at night also. Don't forget pics :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like you are off to a good start! Make it as big as you can manage with your area and funds. You will never regret making a tort enclosure larger.
Also, you might want to go a bit higher with the sides, even 12", so you have room for the substrate w/o allowing him to climb out. ( a lip around the edge or a lid will help prevent this too).
Or, any chance you can wall off part of the 12x36 outdoor area with a cement block wall along one side? Two levels, staggered for stability, ought to do it.
Otherwise, your idea is a good one, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.