Outdoor enclosure for Hermanns tortoise

Twistedbydesign

Location (City and/or State)
Gilberts, IL
So I’m just getting this started. I have tortoise browse seed mix coming Monday - clovers, dandelions, etc., as well as a grass seed mix specifically for tortoises. Just planted a Hosta and a Max Frei Crainsbill (Geranium). Going to make a shelter tomorrow or next weekend. Once the browse and grass grows we’ll start introducing our baby to this for short periods.

FE140E46-6911-4D3D-A6A6-B1735C098573.jpeg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I like it so far. You will need to cover it with strong mesh wire on a wooden frame for protection from predators. And limit the time spent in it.

Twistedbydesign

Gilberts, IL
How old is your baby? Babies should be housed in a closed chamber with very short jots outside.
Read the caresheet under the species section.
She is just a few months old. I have her in a closed/mostly closed chamber enclosure now. Humidity is 90%-60% depending on the end of the enclosure. She will only go outdoors for short periods until she is older.

Twistedbydesign

Gilberts, IL
I like it so far. You will need to cover it with strong mesh wire on a wooden frame for protection from predators. And limit the time spent in it.
Thanks. I plan on covering it when she will be out there for longer periods but for the remainder of this year she will only be out for short periods and supervised. She is just a baby so until she gets older she will be in her closed/semi closed chamber indoor enclosure.