outdoor enclosure Q's

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
I have not been able to make an outdoor yet, as there is snow and frozen ground. But in the spring, If i chose to use the ground as the base, How far down do i need to dig to make sure they cannot escape by digging under? Also- How deep will Three-toeds dig down if they try to hibernate? i am very concerned about that bc i live in Eastern PA, and it gets super cold here. I would be afraid they would not do well if I let them hibernate in the ground here all winter. They are not native to this region. Anyone have experience in this area?

I worry about black ants. any issues with ants? We do have ticks here, so how often do you check them for ticks? i can get pill bugs from reptile shows, i can look for native species. i would never put non-native species of anything loose in the back yard.

I have 5 dogs, and 3 are terriers. i will have to build the sides up pretty high to keep them safe. i also will plan to get hardware cloth to cover enclosure.

If anyone has idea to throw out, please do. i want to make a nice enclosure for them.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
My opinion would be to have the enclosure perimeter go down at least 12 inches below ground level to prevent your box turtle from digging out. You could line the inside perimeter with bricks to discourage them from digging too close to the fence as well. In addition you could line the bottom with hardware cloth to prevent escapes. I would make sure they have at least 12 inches of soft soil above the hardware cloth to dig into. Alternatively, you could build an above-ground enclosure and fill it with soft soil and peat moss if your native ground is too hard to dig in (like in my area of where the ground is hard clay).

Mine hibernate outdoors, but you would want to get advice from local turtle owners since New Mexico is so different from Pennsylvania. Our nighttime temps do get below freezing much of the winter however. My boxies dig down an estimated 8-12 inches and then I pile on a foot or so of leaves on top of them once they are dug in for the winter for extra insulation.

As far as ants, I remove their food dishes within an hour or so of feeding, otherwise they are covered in ants unless I use a "moat" technique. I have larger shallow trays to which I add about 1/4"-1/2" of water in the bottom and then place the terra cotta food dish in the center of the tray. (In the bottom picture, the pink plastic plate is what I use for the moat sometimes although not at the time I took this picture). The turtles don't seem to mind stepping into the water moat to get to their food, and it discourages the ants. Some people in my turtle club have used upside down Frisbees for the water moat. IMG_1645.jpg WP_20150520_006.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Thanks, good ideas! i think we might rent a small bobcat or something and dig down a foot or two to place something against the side so they cannot burrow under the sides. I am unsure yet if we'll go with wood or cinderblock. and i need to find a way to maybe shellac the outsides b/c my 2 male dogs will lift their legs on everything outside, and i don't want the turtles to smell that if it permeates the wood. Will have to figure that out.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
If you don't want to dig down.. You can always build up... My Russian pen is 25x8 ..The walls are made from 2x12 ..30" high I filled it with 16" of top soil.... Another altenative ..my Sulcatas love to dig here in Florida to escape the heat.. I got tired of it..So I dismantled one side of the pen.. Hired a bobcat to remove about 18" of top soil.. And hired a pool company to put down 2" of concrete spaced for drainage... Then put the dirt back..now they dig hit the concrete and stop....