Building an outdoor enclosure

kbroadway2

HI!

My turtle, Pickle, is 1 and a half years old and has been kept indoor since he hatched. I am building an outdoor enclosure some time in the next month because its been very warm outside. He's been spending most of the day outside for the past week since its been so warm.

I used top soil and peat moss in my indoor enclosure and there must have been ants in the top soil because they were all in his enclosure and I couldn't see a trail of ants in the house. I want to use top soil in the outdoor enclosure but I am afraid of ants. I don't want them to hurt him. What are some alternatives to use? I am making the enclosure 4'x8' with landscaping timbers. He will be in my back yard that gets sun but has plenty of shade because of the trees. I am going to build up instead of digging down. I'm going to use hardware cloth on the bottom and make the walls about 3 feet high and fill it with dirt to about 2 feet. I have lots of raccoons and possums in my yard. Should I build a top for the enclosure? Will they bother my turtle?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I don't keep box turtles, but I can answer your ant question. Pick up (or order from Amazon) FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. It is harmless to your turtle and will not only kill insects that are in or around your enclosure but acts like a barrier to keep them away. I use it to control ants and spiders in my outdoor enclosures. I also use it in my house during bug season. Just make sure it is food grade, not the kind for swimming pools. I use a squeezable condiment bottle to lightly dust the areas that need it. When it rains, you need to re-apply after the ground dries.

And I would definitely put a cover on your enclosure. In my area hawks will pick up box turtles and raccoons and possums are a major concern. So make that enclosure as secure as you can. If box turtles dig (I don't know), make sure you bury wire or pavers or something so they can't get out and nothing can dig its way in.

Rue

Canada
You won't be able to keep ants out of an outdoor enclosure. All you can do is minimize how many ants, by making sure any foods they like to eat (sweet sticky stuff in many cases) isn't available...so clean up any stale tortoise food that might qualify.

Don't build the enclosure close to, or on top of, a thriving ant colony either.

But ants won't hurt a healthy tortoise...

I'm not familiar with possums and what they'll eat...but yes, a raccoon is a danger. So are skunks, foxes, birds and any host of other animals so I'd think you'd need a secure cover with a small tortoise.

p.s. Diatomaceous earth is fine to use - so you can try it if you feel it's warranted. Quite safe (don't breath in the dust while applying it). And maybe it's of benefit in certain areas (I'm not familiar with the climate and common pests of N. Virginia for example) . I've tried using it up here and it doesn't help with ants at all from my observations. I think we live on a giant anthill...

Last edited:

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
HI!

My turtle, Pickle, is 1 and a half years old and has been kept indoor since he hatched. I am building an outdoor enclosure some time in the next month because its been very warm outside. He's been spending most of the day outside for the past week since its been so warm.

I used top soil and peat moss in my indoor enclosure and there must have been ants in the top soil because they were all in his enclosure and I couldn't see a trail of ants in the house. I want to use top soil in the outdoor enclosure but I am afraid of ants. I don't want them to hurt him. What are some alternatives to use? I am making the enclosure 4'x8' with landscaping timbers. He will be in my back yard that gets sun but has plenty of shade because of the trees. I am going to build up instead of digging down. I'm going to use hardware cloth on the bottom and make the walls about 3 feet high and fill it with dirt to about 2 feet. I have lots of raccoons and possums in my yard. Should I build a top for the enclosure? Will they bother my turtle?

Yes they will have your turtle for a snack! Due to the size of your turtle I would build a 4 x 4 box out of treated lumber with walls at 16-24 inches with a hardware cloth hinged top. It's easy to lose a box turtle that small even in a 4 x 8 enclosure. This way it's contained with protection but also getting the benefits of being outside. Just my opinion.

kbroadway2

I wanted to make it big so he can grow into it but I guess I can expand it as he grows. He will be 2 in October. He is 2.5 inches long and about 2.5 inches wide. I'm thinking i can make a hinged lid with wood and hardware cloth to keep other critters out. I'm also not sure I'm going to leave him outside this winter. I can build up high enough for him to dig down to hibernate but I am just worried. I didn't hibernate him at all while he was inside.

I'm going to line the bottom of the enclosure with hardware cloth so he can't dig out.

kbroadway2

I'm also going to plant things in there for shade and so it will look nice. I was thinking hostas and petunias. I know those are safe for turtles. Any other suggestions?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm also going to plant things in there for shade and so it will look nice. I was thinking hostas and petunias. I know those are safe for turtles. Any other suggestions?
Spider plants are good...but they don't like direct sun. You could use palm fronds over the top of the enclosure to help with shade. I actually have some potted palms that like sun that I plan to put along the perimeter of my outdoor enclosures for shade.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i plan to put some strawberry plants in( my hubby already grows them so i can steal a few) some Hostas, some ferns, some clover, maybe dandelion, moneywort..

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
depending on where you are located as far a s winter , it may not be a good idea to hibernate them in a raised bed .... if it's not large enough and/or your winters are really cold , they may end up in a dirt ice cube .........