Outdoor exploring and nom-ing

Pottergalval

Though Joey is an indoor tortoise, I take him outside regularly so he can get some exercise and sunlight. He loves exploring, and I always make sure he only explores places that have not been sprayed with chemicals. Sometimes, he'll find a plant he wants to eat, like dandelions, which are awesome and cost effective for me. Other times, he'll find a plant that I'm not familiar with, and try to munch on that. Once he even tried to eat a dead leaf! Should I let him eat what he wants? Will his instinct prevent him from eating something poisonous?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It sounds awfully like he is roaming free and isn't in an enclosure.

You really should have him in an enclosure. Warmed up torts are pretty fast and you only have to be distracted for a moment and your tort will be gone.

In an enclosure you can control what he eats.

And the answer about the plants is take time to know and understand what they are. Your tort could make the wrong decision.

Pottergalval

It sounds awfully like he is roaming free and isn't in an enclosure.

You really should have him in an enclosure. Warmed up torts are pretty fast and you only have to be distracted for a moment and your tort will be gone.

In an enclosure you can control what he eats.

And the answer about the plants is take time to know and understand what they are. Your tort could make the wrong decision.
Unfortunately, I don't live in a place with a yard, so if I want to give Joey sunlight, like the vet advises, I have to let him roam free (at friends' and family's houses or at the local national park). I'm looking into potentially making him a harness. In the meantime, I keep close to him and watch him at ALL TIMES. Thanks for the advice on the plants!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Unfortunately, I don't live in a place with a yard, so if I want to give Joey sunlight, like the vet advises, I have to let him roam free (at friends' and family's houses or at the local national park). I'm looking into potentially making him a harness. In the meantime, I keep close to him and watch him at ALL TIMES. Thanks for the advice on the plants!
If your tort has a UVB light in his enclosure then natural sunlight is not necessary.