Outdoor shelter and lighting

AgathaandOlive

Location (City and/or State)
Newport Pagnell, England
Hello,

I'm currently landscaping my garden to include a tortoise area for my Hermann girls. It will be in a sunny corner but this means it is at the far end of the garden. Can anyone recommend a way of using solar power to power their heat lamp? Will they need it on all day? Also are they safe to sleep outside in a secure and warm shelter/bedroom box?

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In summer they should not need added heat if housed outside. The sun should take care of that. At night temps can drop to 60.
At night they should be placed inside a hide and locked in for the night and let out for morning.locking them in each night prevents animal death or theft.
Btw, tortoises don't do good in pairs. Females might do okay, but they need lots of room, lots of sight barriers, feed and water stations and hides. The night box needs to be big or give them their own.

AgathaandOlive

Newport Pagnell, England
In summer they should not need added heat if housed outside. The sun should take care of that. At night temps can drop to 60.
At night they should be placed inside a hide and locked in for the night and let out for morning.locking them in each night prevents animal death or theft.
Btw, tortoises don't do good in pairs. Females might do okay, but they need lots of room, lots of sight barriers, feed and water stations and hides. The night box needs to be big or give them their own.
Thank you! Yes plan on making the hide/bed box lockable as we are in a village. They have lived together for years, they actually lived as a group of 14! Their owner passed away and I adopted two - they seem to get along well and seek each other out to sleep together which is cute! Their garden area will have lots of different spots to explore and hide in :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just keep an eye out for bullying. A group is not a problem it's in pairs that there can be a problem. The seeking each other out and having to sleep right next to each other are signs that one may be trying to bully the other.
Tortoises in the wild live by themselves. They only cross paths to fight or mate. Just keep an eye out for it. It happens more then it doesn't