Outdoor thoughts

ditzyangeluk

Location (City and/or State)
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Ok, I am planning a bigger enclosure for outside. I would like to put Sparky outside, as much as possible but in the UK, weather dictates of course (and not always favourably!) So I thought about an open enclosure (!!) with a raised cover, say perspex/plastic/whatever)

HOWEVER, if I do this, am I right in thinking it will block the UV rays and if so, how do I get around this? Or do I just put the cover over when it rains?

(Pic is an example - enclosure would be as is, with posts to have raised perspex/cover over the top to keep enclosure dry)

Thoughts and ideas welcome please

eg.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Ok, I am planning a bigger enclosure for outside. I would like to put Sparky outside, as much as possible but in the UK, weather dictates of course (and not always favourably!) So I thought about an open enclosure (!!) with a raised cover, say perspex/plastic/whatever)

HOWEVER, if I do this, am I right in thinking it will block the UV rays and if so, how do I get around this? Or do I just put the cover over when it rains?

(Pic is an example - enclosure would be as is, with posts to have raised perspex/cover over the top to keep enclosure dry)

Thoughts and ideas welcome please

View attachment 87946
It will probably affect the UVB/UVA amount, how much is another problem! Do you have a UV meter? Is it possible that you can measure it with the thinnest material? I believe it should only be put in rain :D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have seen some people use small green houses when it rains or if it is cooler. I also would only use plexi if it rained. Uv will prob not go through the plexi..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicken wire or hardware cloth is what I would use to keep critters out. If critters isn't a concern in your area, then cover just a 1/4 to 1/2 with the plexi. Uv does not go through plastic or plexi and don't forget, it will be a lot hotter under it, as it will work like a green house. Maybe just cover a portion of it with weather treated wood. You could also just put a hide in there that rain can not drain into and he can take cover in there is he wants.