Outside Hibernation and Feeding

Rob1985

Location (City and/or State)
Northeast US
Hi,
I've got two eastern box turtles in an outside pen / enclosure. I'm in the northeast, and we're having unusually warm and irregular (cold/warm) fall weather. I have no idea with the way this weather is going as to when the cold weather will stay. We're supposed to get two days in the 70s later this week!
I want to hibernate them outside, and everything I've read online says to stop feeding them two weeks before hibernation. However, these seem to be referring to folks using an attic or refrigerator to force hibernation. Since I'm doing it naturally with their outdoor pen, will they know when to stop eating so as to clean out their digestive tract? I would think they would, but my girlfriend mentioned the possibility that in the wild they might just stop looking for food as it gets cooler. However, it's not much of a challenge / exertion for them when I throw worms in front of them in the pen. I've also considered the possibility that their normal habits might be disrupted by being relocated from their home in the woods to the pen. Should I just stop feeding them, or will they automatically start refusing food when they think it's getting close to hibernation time?

Thanks,
Rob

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you want to hibernate a tortoise, you stop feeding them for two weeks.

My Greek lives outdoors and slows down considerably when the time comes. His appetite gradually wains. In the wind-down I offer nothing at all. I just soak him every day.

I can’t stop him taking a dandelion that he finds during the wind-down, but chances are he won’t even if we do have a couple of unexpected warm days.

If your tort is still interested in food then he is probably not ready for hibernation yet.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
YES they will stop eating when they are getting ready. Keep offering food, but don't expect it to be eaten.

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
Rob, I'm in NJ and I have three females and a male that are all still active on warmer days (like today) but their eating is slowing considerably.