Outside overnight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Coast of California
I have two Hermann's one is a little over a year old (200grams) and one is about 9 months (95 grams). Now that my new outdoor enclosure has a secure cover on it, can I leave them outside overnight without a heat source? Our daytime temps average in the mid 70's and overnight temps average in the mid 50's.
Thanks!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I do not have Hermann tortoises but I believe 50* is to cold. You can get a pig blanket to keep them warm.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Mid 50's is too cold for my babes. Sixty is the very minimum I use for my little ones.

BlackMountain412

5 Year Member
Are you in S.F? sounds like the temp I get here. I'm at 72 daytime and low 50's at night! I wouldn't let any young tortoise out there overnight.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As long as daytime temperatures reach normal activity levels, low 70's to mid 80's low night temperatures as low as the low to mid 50's are fine. There is no need for a night time heat source under those conditions. Even occasional cooler and overcast days don't present a problem.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
Like so much else, there seems to be some disagreement here. Are there any Hermanns keepers who keep their torts outside at night? If you do have a heat source, what do you use?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I do keep my adults outside all night. My juveniles (2-3 years) stay outside as well as long as it doesn't get lower than 60. My littlest hatchlings come in at night. I don't know if all this is necessary, but it's what I feel comfortable doing.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of my Hermann's (and other Testudo species), regardless of age, are outdoors 24/7 from early May through late October. Many of my adults are out year round and hibernate outdoors. Have been for over 25 years. Never with a night time heat source. It simply is not necessary unless the temperatures at night are consistently below 50 degrees and daytimes aren't getting warm enough for normal activity for them. In just about all of the U.S. these unfavorable parameters only take place in the late fall, winter and early spring.

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
I'm with Gary my Hermann's and Greeks are outside all the time this time of year (I'm in Maine)

Status
Not open for further replies.