Environment question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I'm still trying to decide on my first tort/turtle. In looking at Hermann's, I'm not sure if our climate here in south Louisiana is a little extreme for Hermann's to be healthy, regarding heat and humidity.

Our minimum daily humidity is between 50-60%, year round.
Our maximum daily humidity is between 80-90%, year round.
Our minimum daily temps range from freezing to 72.
Our maximum daily temps range from 60-95+.
From June through much of September, temps are in the 90s and humidity in 80% and sometimes more (or less, in a drought).
The combination of heat plus humidity sometimes pushes the heat index to 103 or so.

I am thinking this type of heat and humidity, especially for the 4 summer months, might be too stressful for a Hermann's?

What do you Hermann's people think?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I believe, as long as a Hermann's has a cool, shady place to get out of the sun, it'll do OK there. I know of at least one woman, in Baton Rouge, with 3 long-term Hermie's, of over 20 years.

A redfoot would also do well, if you don't mind a somewhat larger tortoise.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks bunches, Terry! I know redfoots would do well here, but I didn't want a bigger tort and I like the rounder body shape rather than the longer, sort of rectangular shape of the adult redfoots.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I think they will be fine down there. Hermanns are easily one of the hardiest tortoise species if not the hardiest. I know someone keeping and breeding marginated with great success there so that is a species you can look into as well.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozilion said:
Thanks bunches, Terry! I know redfoots would do well here, but I didn't want a bigger tort and I like the rounder body shape rather than the longer, sort of rectangular shape of the adult redfoots.

Can't say I blame ya...to the discerning chelonaphile, Hermann's are THE tortoise to keep... :cool:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am a word-nerd and enjoy new words! I look forward to the response when I tell people I'm a Chelonaphile!!!:)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozilion said:
I am a word-nerd and enjoy new words! I look forward to the response when I tell people I'm a Chelonaphile!!!:)

First time I used it, a friend quipped "Ya know, TA, there's medicine for that now"... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.