Can you tell me what's wrong with this two??

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
A friend have this two baby Hermanni. The large one is little over three inches. current temperature is between 95 to 100 by day and about 90s at night. About 60 % humidity.

They are not too active, not eating much and lethargic. He did soak them daily....The smaller one are making noise while soaking from the nose and making some nasal bubbles.

Why the carapace looks like this? too dry?
205533f11wn18rxnicx8in.jpg

205535l9vsghx9cll4siin.jpg
205700dosvho6ymhyutisy.jpg

And is this shall rut rot??
205703jik9d00d0sq0s9zf.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they look very dry. But if they're so dry, why would there be shell rot? And it does look like shell rot. Maybe your friend needs to provide more shade in the enclosure (strong lights drying out the shells?????)

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
A friend have this two baby Hermanni. The large one is little over three inches. current temperature is between 95 to 100 by day and about 90s at night. About 60 % humidity.

They are not too active, not eating much and lethargic. He did soak them daily....The smaller one are making noise while soaking from the nose and making some nasal bubbles.

Why the carapace looks like this? too dry?
View attachment 109279

View attachment 109280
View attachment 109281

And is this shall rut rot??
View attachment 109282

I had the same problem.
I'm assuming you mean ambient temps drop no lower than 90 at all times. I found that this stresses the tortoises as they can't cool down and it causes what your describing.

Try lowering the night temps down to 80F that helped mine to gets rid of the bubbles. Also I found appetite increases, lethargy goes away and they become more active.

From personal experience this is what I have witnessed to have happened. I believe they get stressed out and can't handle the constant high temps 24/7.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes, they look very dry. But if they're so dry, why would there be shell rot? And it does look like shell rot. Maybe your friend needs to provide more shade in the enclosure (strong lights drying out the shells?????)
Let me gather more information from him.

The bigger one are not his. One of his friend gave it to him. That maybe explain why it is dry but one of them had the shell rot. Thank you Yvonne.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What you suggest the humidity for them Yvonne? If they show such dry condition on their shell? He do soak them daily. what else he can do? Also temperasture wise??

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep my baby Hermann's at a humidity of 80 and higher, and I never let my temps go below 80. I keep a saucer of water for them at all times and soak them (nearly) every day. All of mine are thriving. Hope that was helpful!