Outside Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
Can Bella stay out in her enclosure now....it's in hte 70s, low 80s days, but I'm in northern Arizona.....the sun is HOT when your in it.........mid to high 40's at night.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Bella can definitely stay outside all day once she can bask to warm up in the morning, as long as there are a few plants and a shady area for the heat of the day.
Russians can tolerate cool overnight temps to the 40's, but it is better if they have a chance to acclimate. Meaning a tortoise that has been kept inside can stay out 24/7 when night temps don't go below 55 or so, and gradually adjust to cooler nights (as long as days are warm enough) into fall.
You could probably get away with leaving her outside now, but if you want to be 100% safe, bring her inside at night, or have a hide that has a heat source to come on at 55-58 for now.

Others may feel she can go out now 24/7, but it just seems safer to be conservative! She's special!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'm one of the others. As long as your tortoise has adequate shelter for cold nights they can easily be outdoors 24/7 if daytime temperatures are in the 70's-80's and sunny. Night times can even be near freezing (and occasionally slightly below). This is as long as an adequate shelter full of dry leaves, straw or other suitable material is provided.

Here in the Northeast, where the humidity and night time dampness is higher, my Testudo have been outdoors 24/7 for about a week. The daytimes have been in the 60's and sunny. We've only hit 70 degrees twice so far. Most nights are in the high 30's low 40's with a few in the low 50's. We have and will get a few nights of frost for almost another month. The majority of the tortoises here have been in this same scenario year after year, decade after decade. In most cases with Testudo species, too hot is worse than cold. There are extreme limits in either direction of course. They function and survive extremely well in cooler temperatures by virtue of the environment that the different species have evolved in for thousands of years. Keeping them in similar conditions as they would be in the wild is not harming them. As long as a few basic and simple needs are met.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Thanks...I've had my baby for about 5 years.....you'd think I know, but I always worry about her....she has a nice enclosure...there's pics somewhere on here, but I have done a lot more fixing up on it and it had half grass now

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Glad you think its OK, Gary, you would certainly know.

It just seems a bit odd to me to keep them inside in a warm enclosure all winter then suddenly plunge them outside in temps 40-70f (although no doubt basking areas are warmer).
But it sounds like it works! ;)

(As long as it isn't wet too)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
lynnedit said:
Glad you think its OK, Gary, you would certainly know.

It just seems a bit odd to me to keep them inside in a warm enclosure all winter then suddenly plunge them outside in temps 40-70f (although no doubt basking areas are warmer).
But it sounds like it works! ;)

(As long as it isn't wet too)

I know that they're fine in my climate under those conditions here in the Northeastern U.S. so they are certainly going to be in much more mild (and overall warmer) climates in the Southwestern U.S. That may not be the case in Pacific Northwest.

But if kept indoors under correct conditions, meaning mildly warm days and cooler nights that temperate climate species are accustomed to, being exposed to colder temperatures at night has no effect on their well being as long as the daytime temperatures get into at least the mid 60's and it's sunny for the most part. Indoors under correct conditions for temperate climate species means high 60's, 70's to very low 80's during the day and low 60's and lower at night. Ideally at least a 15-20 degree temperature differential between day and night.

Unfortunately, too many people that keep temperate climate species of tortoises such as Russians, Hermann's, Marginateds and Ibera indoors often keep them much to hot overall. To some extent this is also true of Egyptian and Middle Eastern Greeks too.

As long as they are healthy, fairly dry to low moisture, hot or cold temperatures only determine their activity level. Damp conditions coupled with cold temperatures, as well in more rare situations, extremely high humidity levels combined with excessive heat, can lead to health concerns. That is why I highly stress "suitable" shelter outdoors. Dry ground, naturally packed with dry leaves or straw. With as little exposure to the wind and any rain or dampness as possible. It's not a matter of just putting a hollow box over them and calling it a shelter. They do need to be able to take advantage of some protection as they would seek in the wild. Most species, especially those from temperate climates, are far less delicate than many of us want to believe. They actually do very well in a variety of conditions that we may not choose to believe that they would as long as some of their basic needs are met. This is most true with temperate climate species moreso than any others and most true of Russian tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.