Outside time

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
At what temperature is it safe to bring little torts out to graze? I'm thinking 80ish since thats mid range for their enclosure? Or can it be cooler if they are in full sun? So much to learn!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If its winter and they really need some sun, I'll bring them out at 65, IF its sunny and not too windy. If you put them in a walled enclosure, on the ground, with some windbreaks it actually warms up quite nicely. During most of the year, I wait for seventies. You can also use the "sweatshirt" rule. If you are outside and feel like you need a sweater or jacket, its probably a bit cool for your tort. If you are stripped down to a T-shirt, or less, its probably good weather for torts. The best way to know is to put a remote probe in the pen and actually see what the temp is. Just recently I measured temps with my infared heat gun. It was 71 and sunny outside about 3:30 in the afternoon. Bert and Delores both measured 90-91 and Scooter measured 98. One nearby, light colored rock was 105 and another darker rock that was half in the ground measured only 85. Night temps were in the low 40's.

It was interesting to me that Scooter was so much warmer. He has always been much more active than all my other sulcatas. That's how he got his name 12 years ago. Come to think of it, that's how I picked him out of the tub 'o' hatchlings. Walter Allen just reached in and handed me Bert randomly. He seems to regulate his body temp higher than the others and is therefore more active. He also eats more and despite his heavy exercise routine has grown quite a bit bigger than the other two.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What matters more than the temperature are the photos you should post of the little darlings enjoying the swing set (hint, hint). :p

Also, a hide will give them the opportunity to seek shelter or concealment if they feel the need (and I am feeling very smug that I can actually add something valuable to one of Tom's posts!) ;)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I agree with Tom on the temps, my Leopards are always hotter than the temp out side..

I got my little heat gun to.. ( i am so proud i got it for 10$ on ebay, woot woot, infact i know the temp of every thing in my house... my turtle lamp gets to 155 on the bottom!) Sorry.. my gun excites me

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Stephanie Logan said:
What matters more than the temperature are the photos you should post of the little darlings enjoying the swing set (hint, hint). :p

Also, a hide will give them the opportunity to seek shelter or concealment if they feel the need (and I am feeling very smug that I can actually add something valuable to one of Tom's posts!) ;)

Um, I think you have me confused with someone else ;) No swing sets here!

I do think a hide would be a great idea. I took them out for about 45 minutes today. At first they were in heaven, munching on the dandelions. ( I knew my weedy, organic yard would come in handy some day!) Then the bigger one, Poe-for now, kept taking off. Finally I realized he was heading for shade. Doh. So they hung out in the shade for a while, then went back into their enclosure in the house. There will be a small tort yard set up this week for them to be outside safely. It was a great excuse to relax in the sun though!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Yep, always go by the ground temps, not what the weather man says (thanks tom lol).

There have been days where it's been sunny with little wind, but only 60 outside. I would bring my digital thermometer out and it would read in the 70's or higher.

Can't wait for this weather to clear up yeesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.