OUTSIDE???

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi All,
I just wondered I would like to take my baby red/yellowfoot outside for some real sun rays? Sorry I forget who it was showed me their outside pend? I just want to take my little guy out for awhile? Do I just put him in a box/container with a shady part? How long would I keep him in the sun for to get the good rays from the sun? Like half an hour for him to get the good rays? Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot don't like to sit in direct sunlight very long. My reds stay in the shadows when its hot out.Yellow foot like bright sun even less.
Make sure that whatever "box" you place him in has shade and doesn't get really hot.
I'd let him loose in the grass and sit with him and watch over him.
I wouldn't leave him unsupervised especially for his first time in the sun.

Last edited:

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks but...I dont trust what may be in my grass? lol I just want to take him out for a bit but dont know how long for him to get the good rays for? Thanks

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Just let it loose and watch it, they can sneak away faster than you think. A few hours of sun a week is good, more is better.

Lexiii

CT
I built an outside garden for mine in a kiddie pool, but as soon as I take him out he beelines for the hide (even on cloudy days). I just sit with him in the grass instead. Neighbors think I'm taking to myself.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
LoL Maybe I will just hold him? lol Is half an hour in the sun good enough? I have to many bugs in my grass? Thanks

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hi,
LoL Maybe I will just hold him? lol Is half an hour in the sun good enough? I have to many bugs in my grass? Thanks
They live with and eat bugs. It'll be fine as long as your not setting it down on an ant hill. 30 mins is fine if you do it multiple times a week. 30 mins once a week is not enough.

Lexiii

CT
Find him a small earthworm. My guy goes crazy for them. It's the only protein he has any interest in.

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
The kiddy pool is a great idea. You can plant grass and flowers and even fruits. The only thing is if its only 30 min a day i would not have a hide. Because as mentioned about they will make a beeline for the protection of the hide. Some shade plant is enough to keep humidity up and temps down. You could also water the area prior to letting the little guy or gal go.

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
Sorry pressed send in accident. Torts especially baby torts have a strong instinct to hide. Unless your leaving them outdoors for good. They will not adjust and feel comfortable in the outdoor space. It can become frustrating when you want you tort to soak up some sun before they go back inside and all they wanna do is hide. Thats why i decide to just leave my little ones outside for good. They been out there for almost 2 weeks and only yesterday did i see one out and about the enclosure. Every morning i find all 4 babies in the same cave huddled together. I take them out of the cave and place them by the food. A few bits later and its back to the cave.:rolleyes:

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi All,
I just want to say a BIG thanks to you guys and the form for ALL your help! I have been so nervous with this new little guy! I would LOVE to keep him outside all the time if I lived somewhere weather permitting that. But sorry to say I live in London Ontario Canada and the weather sucks! Yesterday HOT as hell today you need the furnace on? lol I just would on those day I can take him out for the good sun rays after all the real sun does wonders! How long each day weather permitting is long enough for them to get the benefits . I mean right in the sun after half an hour am sunburned? lol Thanks again!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I must say my reds bask every morning. They like the sun to warm up after cooler night. I would just prinde both sun and shade

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
When mine were tiny I let them graze in a little sprout box for 10-15 min. But like ZEROPILOT said, they like little hide spots, so I'd put a little box in there to hide.

My red's are bigger now so they've got an outdoor enclosure, where I can monitor them better.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432088821.248062.jpg