Overgrown beak and no vet!

RussianRuby

Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield
Hi T.F. members,

I'm the owner of an adult russian lady of the manner. Her beak and nails are overgrown. I contacted my vet this morning to get them to have a look but our vet is only doing emergencies because of covid-19. I don't want her to end up an emergency or with a mis-shapen beak but I don't have confidence to sort it myself. I live in Nottinghamshire in the UK. Does anyone know where I can take her to find someone experienced and skilled with torts to do it? I don't want her hurt or injured which is why I won't do it myself.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hi T.F. members,

I'm the owner of an adult russian lady of the manner. Her beak and nails are overgrown. I contacted my vet this morning to get them to have a look but our vet is only doing emergencies because of covid-19. I don't want her to end up an emergency or with a mis-shapen beak but I don't have confidence to sort it myself. I live in Nottinghamshire in the UK. Does anyone know where I can take her to find someone experienced and skilled with torts to do it? I don't want her hurt or injured which is why I won't do it myself.
Emergencies only due to COVID still!!!?? Omg. So sorry for you guys over there. Now pets are being affected for no reason. There are some members that know how to do these things themselves hopefully they will be along soon. A small dremel may work, many people use them on dog nails.....

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Unless you can find someone that lives close that will do it your tort is gonna be out of luck. You should just do it yourself. while holding the tort vertically feel around its neck behind its "ear" scales, there is a point where you can pinch right below the torts skull so it cant retract. dont pinch too high or it can put a lot of pressure on their eye socket. Just get used to feeling it, and trying to hold his head out for a second or two without any clippers. Then when you are comfortable with the pinch then wrap him tight in a towell, get your clippers and get to work. You only have to hold their head for a couple seconds to clip each side and then maybe a couple more seconds to file down any snags. Much easier and quicker than this makes it sound.

RussianRuby

Mansfield
Thank you for the advice guys. It does seem like I might have to do it myself. It's hardly ideal but I can't have her not being able to eat.

I need to find out how far to file it back. Does anyone have any good resources (videos, factsheets or anything to guide me)

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

This is basically exactly how I do it, except that she goes a bit nuts with the file. You can see though how it is basically two clips and your done with the clipping. Make sure you have a really sharp clipper that is key. Feel around gently behind their head and you can kind of feel a natural spot you can pinch. My Tort makes it pretty easy to get his mouth open. You have to manhandle them a bit and it feels like your being rough but it has to be done and its best to get it done quickly than to drag out the trauma. Aim to trim it in line with their natural jaw line, leaving the slightest point is ok.