Overhrown beak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I hadn't seen my male ornate boxie in awhile so I dug him up to put him outside and noticed his beak is overgrown. I think it's why I haven't seen him eat. What can I do to fix it? Or should I just take him to a vet and have them trim it?

Also my female wood turtle looks like she might be getting a tad overgrown, nothing bad but how do I prevent it from getting worse? Is there something hat would prevent my hatchlings from becoming overgrown?

Forgot pictures. I just have the ones of beaker.

Attachments

• image-3830909141.png
    image-3830909141.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • image-414011739.png
    image-414011739.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • image-983419547.png
    image-983419547.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • image-2031549676.png
    image-2031549676.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am not experienced with turtles, only with tortoises... BUT I know that you can file an overgrown beak a bit at a time with an emery board. I posted a little video with instructions on my tortoise blog (link in my signature), and also instructions on trimming (although you may want to have a professional do that for you, depending on your level of experience).

To prevent beaks from becoming overgrown, I would recommend feeding on a slate or flat rock, so they grind down their beaks a little when they get food. Also don't cut up the food - make them work a bit. :)

Thalatte said:
I hadn't seen my male ornate boxie in awhile so I dug him up to put him outside and noticed his beak is overgrown. I think it's why I haven't seen him eat. What can I do to fix it? Or should I just take him to a vet and have them trim it?

Also my female wood turtle looks like she might be getting a tad overgrown, nothing bad but how do I prevent it from getting worse? Is there something hat would prevent my hatchlings from becoming overgrown?

Forgot pictures. I just have the ones of beaker.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can try filing, but there is a quick in there, like in a dogs toe nail. You don't want to file it down too far. If not comfortable with it, take them and have a vet do it. If you feed them on a piece of slate or flat rock, the hard ruff surface will help keep the beak filed down naturally.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
How do I feed insects on a flat rock? Generally I pt all the bugs in a smooth ceramic dish so that they don't escape and then the fruit and veggies are placed next to it on a concrete flagstone...
I think I will just have a vet do it as he isn't very friendly. I wouldn't be very comfortable poking a file at his face while he tries to bite me. So besides feeding on a rock is there anything I can give him to eat that would help? Like snails or hard veggies?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Haha, since I have tortoises (not turtles, I have to admit that I TOTALLY forgot about the bug factor! Now I feel silly. ;)

Yeah, it's probably best if you take him to the vet. You may also check if there is a local turtle club or reptile rescue that trims beaks for free or for a small donation. Here in our area we have a wonderful reptile rescue, and the founder is always happy to help.

Thalatte said:
How do I feed insects on a flat rock? Generally I pt all the bugs in a smooth ceramic dish so that they don't escape and then the fruit and veggies are placed next to it on a concrete flagstone...
I think I will just have a vet do it as he isn't very friendly. I wouldn't be very comfortable poking a file at his face while he tries to bite me. So besides feeding on a rock is there anything I can give him to eat that would help? Like snails or hard veggies?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Only local rescues we have are the humane society and a "reptile" rescue that only takes geckos...which defeats the purpose for me. Either way he has never actually been to the vets and I need to take Bane in for a follow up.

I thought with all the beetles, superworms, and mealworms that the shells from them would be enough to keep the beak in check but now I will have to rethink the setups.
It's weird because my wood turtle has a little overgrowth and in the 6yrs I have had her this has never been an issue. Nor have I had it on any other torts or turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.