Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The Palo Verde tree grows in the Mojave desert. I have one planted in my Russian tortoise pen. Here's a long view of it:

paloverdetree.jpg

I tried to show you the bees, but my camera doesn't pick them up. The tree absolutely HUMS with bees this time of year. There are probably over 100 of them in this next picture, but all you can see is the big black carpenter bee right in the middle of the picture:

paloverdetree-2.jpg

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yvonne,
Really nice tree :) It looks beautiful in the enclosure BUT it must be a little scary with all the bees :D Do they go after you or just fly around the tree?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those flowers have to have the most honey or pollen or whatever bees want, of any tree, because when it blooms, the bees simply flock to it. They aren't the least bit interested in me or the tortoises, just the blossoms.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Beautiful pics Yvonne. We have one of those at work and the bees as you said just love it but so do the finches. They seem to flock to it maybe its the bees they are following?

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Yvonne thats a stunning tree - I love it. Must create some lovely shade for your torts. The sound of a a whole lot of bees scares me...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
wait a minute someone said all the bees were dying? what gives?

desertsss

5 Year Member
bees are dying in specific locations, but not everywhere, and that is why where they still thrive you are not supposed to kill them. You can call and have them relocated if they are bothering but it depends....as far as I know. I am sure someone else will have more knowledge about it. I think that is beautiful though Yvonne, and if they don't "bug" you awesome. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.