pancake keepers , one question, please.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
hi all, hope everyone has cakes in the oven. well, what i want to do is.. how many days has it taking for your babies to get out of the egg. my first one ever was baby ihop- 158 days. i have one new egg at 135 days wonder if it will take a shorter time this time. just would like to see everyones hatch days. thanks.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
I have 2 cooking. One is at day 64 and developing nicely. The other is only at day 28 with no development yet.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I think my female is Gravid now, she has gotten "deeper" and there feels to be a greater weight to her, but she has not really dug around much.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
how long did it take for you to hatch an egg? me 4 years and many eggs. now i feel good about hatching them. they are a strange little tortoise and thought more people kept and bred them. i now think we are a small club of cake lovers. there is a smaller african tortoise from africa, dont think you can have them as pets. sorry, dont know its name. i guess the pancake will be next. what do you african keepers think?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Most of mine take 6-7 months. I had some local specific Swaziland specimens that I had to diapause to hatch out many years back. Those took around 8 months. Your thinking of homopus I take it? Smallest tortoise species is homopus signatus signatus, speckled cape padloper. Six species of padlopers in total all within republic of South Africa. Some Namaqualand padlopers which is H.S.signatus have a range going into southern Namibia.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
yes, the padloper. looks like a fat pancake to me. 'lol' didnt know about them. very nice. i do love them. you have some?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh no. The only institutions that have them are San Diego zoo, Knoxville zoo, and behler chelonian center. They did come in some imports in the early 90s so may be some around in private collections. They are super tiny. Adult speckled capes only get just under 4" as an adult so much smaller than a pancake.