Parasite testing

Kaeloni

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
Hi, I was just looking for input from anyone who has done parasite testing.

I’ve been taking care of a Russian tortoise (Ivan) for about 6 months now. He’s a wild caught male purchased at petco. When he first came to me he was 349 grams and he appeared to be underweight. His neck and legs look like empty skin, like a person who has lost a great deal of weight. In the 6 months I’ve had him he hasn’t gained weight and he’s always been lethargic. I wake him up every morning and soak him for 30 minutes then feed him breakfast. He eats really well and he poops daily, in the bath and in his food. The rest of the day he sprawls out under the power sun bulb (roughly 98 degrees on average) or burrows under his log. The temps in his enclosure are right and I spray his coco coir/topsoil 3 times a day. His enclosure is 8 feet long by 3 feet wide. His diet consists of dandelions (flower and greens,) spring mix, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, radicchio, arugula, romaine and occasionally cucumber. He also has a spider plant that he eats off of occasionally as well. Weather permitting, he goes outside for several hours a day. He wanders only to get in a warmer or cooler spot to lounge. IMG_8538.jpg

I’m really concerned that he may have parasites. I’ve never had an adult Russian tortoise that was completely lethargic and doesn’t gain weight. Tomorrow I have to make a 2 hour drive to the reptile vet with a feces sample. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

The silver on his shell is a topical cream the vet told me to use for previous shell damage where the bone has died. IMG_8547.jpg

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
Hi, I was just looking for input from anyone who has done parasite testing.

I’ve been taking care of a Russian tortoise (Ivan) for about 6 months now. He’s a wild caught male purchased at petco. When he first came to me he was 349 grams and he appeared to be underweight. His neck and legs look like empty skin, like a person who has lost a great deal of weight. In the 6 months I’ve had him he hasn’t gained weight and he’s always been lethargic. I wake him up every morning and soak him for 30 minutes then feed him breakfast. He eats really well and he poops daily, in the bath and in his food. The rest of the day he sprawls out under the power sun bulb (roughly 98 degrees on average) or burrows under his log. The temps in his enclosure are right and I spray his coco coir/topsoil 3 times a day. His enclosure is 8 feet long by 3 feet wide. His diet consists of dandelions (flower and greens,) spring mix, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, radicchio, arugula, romaine and occasionally cucumber. He also has a spider plant that he eats off of occasionally as well. Weather permitting, he goes outside for several hours a day. He wanders only to get in a warmer or cooler spot to lounge. View attachment 249161

I’m really concerned that he may have parasites. I’ve never had an adult Russian tortoise that was completely lethargic and doesn’t gain weight. Tomorrow I have to make a 2 hour drive to the reptile vet with a feces sample. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

The silver on his shell is a topical cream the vet told me to use for previous shell damage where the bone has died. View attachment 249165
I would personally take him to the vet

Kaeloni

Montana
I would personally take him to the vet

He just recently went to the vet to see how his shell is healing. I didn’t think to ask about parasites at the time. When I called the vet this afternoon they told me to just bring a sample.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
He just recently went to the vet to see how his shell is healing. I didn’t think to ask about parasites at the time. When I called the vet this afternoon they told me to just bring a sample.
Oh ok, have you tried the reptile parasite spray?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's really weak from not having been fed. Give him some time to "bulk" up a bit before you try to deworm him. As long as he's eating, you're in the home run. He's going to need your special attention to keep him eating every day. Just remember, he's got a very small stomach. As long as he's pooping, then you know you're giving him the amount of food his system can handle. Once you see the eyes open and he starts to wander around, that would be the time to start thinking about the deworming. Deworm medication is poison. In his weakened state, it would probably poison him too right along with the parasites.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . oh, and I meant to mention - that old dead part of the shell is not being helped at all by the ointment you're putting on it. New keratin is going to slowly grow to cover that spot, but you're not going to see it happening for a year or more. No medication in the world is going to make it grow any faster. Save yourself the time and money, and just store the silver cream in his first aid kit.

Kaeloni

Montana
Thank you for the information Yvonne. Ill hold off on the parasite testing and stop using the silver cream. Poor Ivan, I have no idea what he went through but I’m going to try to make the remainder of his life as comfortable and safe as possible.

Kaeloni

Montana
Ivan really baffles me. He’s so scrawny but he eats really well. He wakes up and eats first thing in the morning. He eats again in the afternoon as well. He poops in his food on the way back to his basking spot. Then he flops out like a dead dinosaur for most of the day. He’s basically dead to the world. He doesn’t react when I come check on him. His eyes are always closed except when he wakes up to eat or when I soak him. He doesn’t have any parasites what so ever. I worry about him so much. I made a video of him eating but can’t figure out how to post it, so a picture will have to do. He goes from looking dead to perking up and being full of energy to eat.
IMG_8723.jpg
IMG_8678.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey there... to post a video, the easiest way is to first post the video to YouTube, then capture the YT link and insert it here.

Good luck with Ivan..

Ps, substrate looks pretty dry in those pix...

Happy Torting.

Kaeloni

Montana
Hey there... to post a video, the easiest way is to first post the video to YouTube, then capture the YT link and insert it here.

Good luck with Ivan..

Ps, substrate looks pretty dry in those pix...

Happy Torting.

You’re right. I struggle with the substrate in my indoor enclosures. I add water to them and mist them several times a day. It doesn’t help. With the outdoor enclosure I spray it down in the morning and it stays fairly damp all day. That’s not too helpful though because I live in a cold climate. We usually have snow October-April [emoji300]️ My tortoises are already indoors for the year. Temp is in the 30-50 degree range.

Kaeloni

Montana
Just weighed Ivan. He’s put on 27 grams this last week!!! I’m so happy! Yay Ivan!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
See if he'll eat Mazuri. It's great for putting on weight. If you'll send me your address in a private conversation I'll send you a little baggie of the Mazuri so you can try it before you buy it. It comes in a 20lb bag and that little tortoise surely can't eat a 20lb bag.