Parrot toys

eOrchid

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I know most people don’t really believe tortoises are exceptionally bright or play. Having 2 Russians, I I beg to differ. One is very bright, uses a mirror to find treats, responds to voice, etc. The other, let’s just he’s sweet. My smart guy gets very bored and I believe depressed from boredom, especially in winter when it’s too cold to go outside.If well supervised, I’m wondering about the possibility of the brightly colored, wooden toys for large parrots. I’m assuming if they’re tough enough for large parrot beaks, they would be for small RT beaks. I’m 99% sure he would enjoy them, but outside of small bells and other things that are choking hazards, can anybody think of a problem with this idea? Thanks!

silvisgirl

I know most people don’t really believe tortoises are exceptionally bright or play. Having 2 Russians, I I beg to differ. One is very bright, uses a mirror to find treats, responds to voice, etc. The other, let’s just he’s sweet. My smart guy gets very bored and I believe depressed from boredom, especially in winter when it’s too cold to go outside.If well supervised, I’m wondering about the possibility of the brightly colored, wooden toys for large parrots. I’m assuming if they’re tough enough for large parrot beaks, they would be for small RT beaks. I’m 99% sure he would enjoy them, but outside of small bells and other things that are choking hazards, can anybody think of a problem with this idea? Thanks!

Sounds like you have at least one clever guy! I don't know about parrot toys but our Russian loves four square balls. Not the traditional large balls you might have played with in grade school, but the same material only about 1/3 the size. Maybe 5 or 6 inches across and hollow. He gets a lot of exercise pushing them around the yard. Good luck keeping your guy busy.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I've seen lots of photos and videos of torts playing with toys. Unfortunately mine aren't interested but I don't see any reason not to try it if you're sure he can't eat any part of it.
If he likes it be sure to post pics or a video!