Peanut and Crush

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I'd like to post a somewhat blurry couple of pics of my boxies. The large one on the left is Peanut. The small one on the right is Crush. I know.....the names should be reversed...lol. Anyway, they have separate enclosures due to their size difference. This is the first time they have ever been near each other. I put them next to each other and they both sat there completely still in this position. Like statues. Is that normal when turtles/torts first meet? I don't remember from years ago when I originally kept boxies. But they both did it, refused to move.
PeanutCrushJan3114_zps118afecb.jpg

PeanutCrush2Jan3114_zps1c82cc24.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, what are they saying? I can read dogs...not so good at reading turtles. Dominance, fearfulness?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My guess would be something like this???

"Hmmm, I wonder if I can eat that?? but howwwwwww? hmm, kinda looks like one of my cousins...hmmmm, now back to the plotting.....mmmm????"

:rolleyes:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
lol...on a more serious note, are they going to be housed together or are they just chilling for the pic? There is the obvious size difference that would make me hesitate on them being roommates....

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
they will not be housed together until Crush is bigger.

Do you see how Peanut has a flat, round shape to the shell? Does that indicate one or another gender?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If memory serves me, the flatter shell "usually" is found on males.....but right now there is such a significant size difference I would wonder how much the shell shape on the little one is subject to change?? you know what I mean?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
yes. I have pics of Peanut's parents here somewhere. If I remember correctly, it was her mom though that had that wide shell shape like that. I'll have to look for it.

Believe it or not, Peanut and Crush are approximately the same age.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
yeah, was always under the impression that the males were the flatter ones (usually, remember there is no 100% in most living things)...I bet some of the others will come on who have loads of experience with this species and offer their first hand knowledge...:D

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
ascott said:
My guess would be something like this???

"Hmmm, I wonder if I can eat that?? but howwwwwww? hmm, kinda looks like one of my cousins...hmmmm, now back to the plotting.....mmmm????"

:rolleyes:

Lol ... They they are both cute.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
at first glance I would say you have both females but time will tell. Peanut is surely a female

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
diamondbp said:
at first glance I would say you have both females but time will tell. Peanut is surely a female

My feeling has been that Peanut is female and Crush is male. Crush is still small though, so who knows. I only say this because Crush has a red cast to his whole head and his eyes already seem more red than Peanut's ever did. But as I said, maybe in a year I'll have a better idea. Yes, I feel that Peanut is female as well.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Lisa it's time for a better camera so we can determine what Crush is lol. Just messing ;) . Peanut is no doubt a female with a uniquely domed shape. What part of LA are you from again?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm not from LA. But I adopted both turtles from a wildlife rescue. Peanut and her siblings were turned in with their parents. Supposedly the parents were originally wild turtles from LA where the three toed and the gulf coast both occur. The parents look primarily three toed with gulf coast influence. Mom was 7 inches SCL! Dad was 5.5 inches SCL. Crush was turned in by someone who claimed to have found him. His shell was painted purple and he was determined at that time to be about a year old. He still has 2 or 3 spots of purple paint on his shell that hasn't come off.

I just went back and looked. Parents are from Slidell, LA.

Here is a link to the thread on the other forum from when the parents were surrendered. Pics of the parents are there. Mom's shell shape is a bit like Peanuts I think.
http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?showtopic=142377&hl=+gulf++coast++three++toed