Pearly's RF outdoor enclosure in Texas

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I'm going to make a burrow/hide where I can lift off the top and grab the tort! I cringe every summer when I reach in the the half buried flower pot!
We have rattlers all over our community!
The fire station sends a couple guys out and removes them.
That's my fear! I am guilty of not respecting my grandtorts privacy or personal space and get their booties out of their hides all the time for feedig, or bath... My babies are used to me disturbing their peace. They know "grandma has something good for them" but mr. Snake is not gonna know... It scares me to think that I put my hand in the hide looking/feeling for the baby, and get pissed off snake instead....

AJK Aquaria

Really like the look of your enclosure.
How large are the tortoises?
Where exactly do you live? What species of snake are native to your area? I'd imagine quite a few in Texas.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Really like the look of your enclosure.
How large are the tortoises?
Where exactly do you live? What species of snake are native to your area? I'd imagine quite a few in Texas.
Oh boy! Where do I begin! First of all, thank you for the nice comment. we are in central Texas, on edge of Texas Hill Country. We are a family who owns 2 RF yearlings, they are 4, 5 and 5.5 inches. Still have lots of growing to do. The house is located in subdivision that wraps around big public golfcourse with lots of wodded patches of land, several ponds, streams and pretty big creek nearby, so despite of the area being developped there's still quite a bit of wildlife around here. 10yrs ago I heard coyotees howl every single night, and 20 yrs ago we had a bobcat sighting here... but none since then. There are many snakes that call this area home, the venomous species are mainly rattlers, copperheads and water mocassins. My gardener buddy said she saw a coral snake couple of yrs ago. I've never seen one around here. Other than those I think the most common are rat snakes, garter snakes and little common garden snakes.