Pearly's 40 gal tank- covered top

Wow your enclosure is absolutely beautiful! I was also considering using a 40gal for my redfoot. Are you using coco coir? If so have you had any problems with mold?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Wow your enclosure is absolutely beautiful! I was also considering using a 40gal for my redfoot. Are you using coco coir? If so have you had any problems with mold?
Thank you. No, no mold. The substrate is a mix of coir and soil with layer of charcoal and Reptibark on the bottom, live plants, earthworms, tiny centipedes and pillbugs. The walking surface is covered with moss

Piña

nyc
Going to drop by Home Depot when I get out of work for reflectix. Thanks Pearly

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Sorry to post on here again, I was just wondering how you keep your moss moist... I soak it a couple of times a week and by the end of the day it is bone dry again o_O

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Beautiful enclosure. You are very creative. I love how you solved the problem by using Reflectix. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a nice stand. I have been debating about selling it on Craigslist. I want to get some Leopard tortoises in the future so now I think I will save the tank and stand and use your ideas to create a closed chamber for the baby Leopards. Thanks for sharing your ideas. :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Sorry to post on here again, I was just wondering how you keep your moss moist... I soak it a couple of times a week and by the end of the day it is bone dry again o_O
Sorry @Spud's mum! Somehow This old thread got lost in the masses of others and I didn't answer your question. When the moss is new I spray it 1-2 x day with very fine mist but once it gets trampled it doesn't need that anymore

Pearly

5 Year Member
Beautiful enclosure. You are very creative. I love how you solved the problem by using Reflectix. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a nice stand. I have been debating about selling it on Craigslist. I want to get some Leopard tortoises in the future so now I think I will save the tank and stand and use your ideas to create a closed chamber for the baby Leopards. Thanks for sharing your ideas. :)
Thank you @Carol S and again sorry for my "lateness". Yes, I find the fish tank very easy to work with. I love the idea if terrarium with living critters in it. Mine has just about to outlived it's usefulness. My babies are getting big and only spending night time in there. Sometime before this next winter I will have their outdoor heated house built for them and will probably plunge into keeping them in their garden full time. This tank has been great for 2 years and some. I will always recommend that route of housing tort babies