40 Gallon Closed Chamber

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
I have a 40 Gallon tank I am looking to safely make into a closed chamber for a five month old redfoot.

I know everyone has their own methods, I am looking for reasonable reasons why this can't/shouldn't be done, and would love some ways that it could be done, if possible.

I had thought about covering the top with plexiglass or tin foil and hanging the lights below the top. A member had expressed to me that transparent walls are unsafe due to the greenhouse effect (I suppose too much heat?). Could I rectify this, if necessary, by using a lower wattage heat bulb?

Is it necessary to cover three of the sides? It was presented to me that it being transparent would actually make it warmer inside.

I understand the risk of the tortoise walking the glass and am happy to cover halfway up the sides if necessary, for that purpose. I was just wondering if the entire thing NEEDED to be non-transparent.

I will do whatever it takes to provide a safe, suitable home for my new redfoot! He won't be shipped from the breeder until I have the enclosure situated. Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to respond!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Personally, the only reason I don't like aquariums is that they cost so much more than the plastic tubs cost. But if you've already got the aquarium, I don't see why you can't use it. Make some sort of stand for the lights, then cover the whole thing, stand and all. Here's an example of my baby box turtle habitat, which is an aquarium I had on hand:

covered habitat.jpg
covered habitat 2.jpg

I've been using this or something like it for a couple years now, and haven't run into any problems with it, and when I had baby leopards in something like it, never raised a bumpy one.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
Personally, the only reason I don't like aquariums is that they cost so much more than the plastic tubs cost. But if you've already got the aquarium, I don't see why you can't use it. Make some sort of stand for the lights, then cover the whole thing, stand and all. Here's an example of my baby box turtle habitat, which is an aquarium I had on hand:

I've been using this or something like it for a couple years now, and haven't run into any problems with it, and when I had baby leopards in something like it, never raised a bumpy one.

Thank you so much for your response! I was really starting to worry. Is it better to have the lights above the tank on the stand with the open top and cover the whole thing? Would it be suitable in my 40 gallon to attach the lights directly to a plexiglass top fitted to the tank (or screen covered with tinfoil or plexi sealed around the lighting), or to have a completely sealed top with lights hanging below it? The height of the tank is 17in.
It is NOT that I think my other two options are necessarily better, I am more so just trying to see what my safe options are.
I am just doing my best to learn from others' experience while finding what is best for my redfoot. Thank you so much for the response.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You will have to keep checking the temperature down at floor level. If it gets too hot, you may have to raise the lights higher.

It's good that you're thinking about what's best for YOUR tortoise. There is no one way to do it. All we can offer is advice and it's best if you try to figure out how to apply it in your own situation.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT

Oh! Also, what are you using for your uvb with that enclosure? I am just trying to figure out where the strip fixture should go. Thank you again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two fixtures, one is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, and the other is a black light for night heat (most people frown on using black/red lights, but I like them better than the CHE)

I have a couple tort tables outside in the big tortoise's sheds, and in those I'm using the tube type fluorescent bulbs. However, they are very bright and I needed to add quite a few plants to provide shade from the brightness.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I used a 40 gallon for our Sulcata's first habitat. I loved it. I am super paranoid in regards to lights/fire yet wanted to make sure he was getting what he needed so I used the SUBSTRATE as the method of finding the correct temps. Let me explain, I had a sliding mesh top for the tank and cut out the holes for the bulbs so the lights could rest on top. I lined the holes with aluminum foil and covered the rest of the top with foil and an old towel. I then raised the substrate high or low under the lights to the temp desired. It's a little backwards but has always worked well for me.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I used a 40 gallon for our Sulcata's first habitat. I loved it. I am super paranoid in regards to lights/fire yet wanted to make sure he was getting what he needed so I used the SUBSTRATE as the method of finding the correct temps. Let me explain, I had a sliding mesh top for the tank and cut out the holes for the bulbs so the lights could rest on top. I lined the holes with aluminum foil and covered the rest of the top with foil and an old towel. I then raised the substrate high or low under the lights to the temp desired. It's a little backwards but has always worked well for me.

Thank you so much! I am a fire freak as well so that may be a good option for me!

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I have two fixtures, one is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, and the other is a black light for night heat (most people frown on using black/red lights, but I like them better than the CHE)

I have a couple tort tables outside in the big tortoise's sheds, and in those I'm using the tube type fluorescent bulbs. However, they are very bright and I needed to add quite a few plants to provide shade from the brightness.
Oh! I had never really considered the MVB bulb. Perhaps I'll start a thread comparing the two in regards to a redfoot. Thank you so much!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When my Cherry Head's were little I always used a glass tank. I put a screen top on a 40 gal breeder, and made holes in the screen so the CHE was in the vivarium. Across the top I put a long tube 5.0 UVB. I covered the rest of the screen top with clear wrapping tape. Lots of plants and a flat piece of slate for feeding, a large enough water dish for then to get in and out of. The humidity stayed in fine with all the plants and the covered screen top. I kept the CHE on 24/7 and the UVB during the day. I put long fiber moss in the hide, soaked it in hot water and squeezed it out and fluffed it up. Some enclosures I didn't use a hide...just some plants and a lot of moss under the plants for them to dig into. when I first got my Cherries, I was told low light and high humidity. Just what worked for me. Everyone does things differently.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
When my Cherry Head's were little I always used a glass tank. I put a screen top on a 40 gal breeder, and made holes in the screen so the CHE was in the vivarium. Across the top I put a long tube 5.0 UVB. I covered the rest of the screen top with clear wrapping tape. Lots of plants and a flat piece of slate for feeding, a large enough water dish for then to get in and out of. The humidity stayed in fine with all the plants and the covered screen top. I kept the CHE on 24/7 and the UVB during the day. I put long fiber moss in the hide, soaked it in hot water and squeezed it out and fluffed it up. Some enclosures I didn't use a hide...just some plants and a lot of moss under the plants for them to dig into. when I first got my Cherries, I was told low light and high humidity. Just what worked for me. Everyone does things differently.

Thank you! That is so incredibly helpful! Do you by any chance remember which brand UVB you use?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It is a exo Terra Repti Glo 24 in. long tube. I put it on top of the screen. It looks similar to this, but this tank is 95 gal. this has two heat emitters and the long tube UVB. You can see one of the Cherries under the log. The 40 gal breeder has the CHE in the middle.
5d84fa.jpg

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
It is a exo Terra Repti Glo 24 in. long tube. I put it on top of the screen. It looks similar to this, but this tank is 95 gal. this has two heat emitters and the long tube UVB. You can see one of the Cherries under the log. The 40 gal breeder has the CHE in the middle.
View attachment 147690

Awesome! Oh- Do you know which brand CHE/thermostat you used in the 40 Gallon? Thank you for answering so many questions!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You mean the CHE (ceramic heat emitter ...the bulb?) I don't remember but I got it on amazon. There was no hide in this 40 gal. I only put a bunch of plants (silk..when wet they hold the water for a while helping with the humidity) on one side and a lot of wet long fiber moss under it for them to dig into. Substrate looks dry, but it was wet under the plants.018-44.jpg

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
One last question! Sorry! Was it the 60 Watt that you used successfully? Amazon is by far the cheapest, so I'd like to order it online and avoid exchanging for a higher wattage if I can. I am in CT so a similar climate to yours which is great for comparison.

This is just my opinion, but I'd go for the higher wattage *just in case* since you'll have a thermostat on that bad boy to keep the temps where you want them. Plus, it'll still be useful when you upgrade to a larger enclosure down the road. Then again, I have no idea how hot a 60W CHE can get a 40 gallon tank up in CT.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
This is just my opinion, but I'd go for the higher wattage *just in case* since you'll have a thermostat on that bad boy to keep the temps where you want them. Plus, it'll still be useful when you upgrade to a larger enclosure down the road. Then again, I have no idea how hot a 60W CHE can get a 40 gallon tank up in CT.
I guess you are right that with a thermostat it would be great to have the higher wattage just in case. What wattage would you recommended getting? Where do most get their thermostats and what brand? I just want to make sure I have the right things.