closed chamber questions

baldegale

so, im building a 4x8 closed chamber and i have asked many questions and this SHOULD be my final few questions.

heres some info: i have a redfoot, hes about 7yrs old, im going to be using a 48in t5HO 10.00 bulb, and 3 CHEs.

so now the questions:

1) what type of substrate should i use? ive been told so far a 4in layer of coco coir and then a 1in layer of fir/orchid bark.

2) is venting necessary? im pretty sure it isn't considering the whole point of "closed" chamber and needing humidity.

3) im going to be making acrylic windows and was wondering if i could use .08in? or if i should pay the extra $20 and get .118in?

4) you guys dont have to answer this one but i was wondering what types of plants i should put in the tank? i know there are probably threads on this already thats why you dont have to answer it.

baldegale

edit: i am now looking at cypress mulch, theres some at home depot but i dont know if its 100% cypress of its safe for tortoise considering the size. everyones saying its too course that the wood pieces are too big but generally i doubt they're saying from experience.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's the age of my tortoises and they live outdoors on bagged cypress mulch.
Indoors, I've used soil over orchid bark only. But in very small enclosures. I think mulch would be fine for an adult.
The thicker plexiglass won't sag as easily as the thin stuff and might be money well spent.
I've used just 5.0 strip lamps. Redfoot don't want too much light or too bright.
My lights are inside the plexiglass and are vented

Attachments

• 20170310_104116.jpg
    20170310_104116.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 49

baldegale

That's the age of my tortoises and they live outdoors on bagged cypress mulch.
Indoors, I've used soil over orchid bark only. But in very small enclosures. I think mulch would be fine for an adult.
The thicker plexiglass won't sag as easily as the thin stuff and might be money well spent.
I've used just 5.0 strip lamps. Redfoot don't want too much light or too bright.
My lights are inside the plexiglass and are vented

i guess i worded the windows part wrong, its not for actual windows. its for access through the front. i cant find 100% cypress mulch anywhere. any recommendations? everything is mixed with pine or something alike.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so, im building a 4x8 closed chamber and i have asked many questions and this SHOULD be my final few questions.

heres some info: i have a redfoot, hes about 7yrs old, im going to be using a 48in t5HO 10.00 bulb, and 3 CHEs.

so now the questions:

1) what type of substrate should i use? ive been told so far a 4in layer of coco coir and then a 1in layer of fir/orchid bark.

2) is venting necessary? im pretty sure it isn't considering the whole point of "closed" chamber and needing humidity.

3) im going to be making acrylic windows and was wondering if i could use .08in? or if i should pay the extra $20 and get .118in?

4) you guys dont have to answer this one but i was wondering what types of plants i should put in the tank? i know there are probably threads on this already thats why you dont have to answer it.

What length is the tortoise? 4x8' seems too small for a 7 year old red foot, unless he's been a very slow grower.

Your questions:
1. I prefer orchid bark. It will be especially good for your application because it can be kept damp on the bottom layers and dry-ish on the top layers, which is important for RFs.
2. The more you vent it, the more cold dry room air you will let in. I don't vent mine. Just be prepared that normal bulbs will over heat the whole chamber. You will need very little electricity to maintain proper temperatures when compared to an open topped enclosure.
3. Use he thicker stuff, or better yet buy tempered glass.
4. Any plants I've ever tried in an indoor enclosure get trampled or eaten. I'll let others advise on this point.

baldegale

What length is the tortoise? 4x8' seems too small for a 7 year old red foot, unless he's been a very slow grower.

Your questions:
1. I prefer orchid bark. It will be especially good for your application because it can be kept damp on the bottom layers and dry-ish on the top layers, which is important for RFs.
2. The more you vent it, the more cold dry room air you will let in. I don't vent mine. Just be prepared that normal bulbs will over heat the whole chamber. You will need very little electricity to maintain proper temperatures when compared to an open topped enclosure.
4. Any plants I've ever tried in an indoor enclosure get trampled or eaten. I'll let others advise on this point.

4x8 is the maximum i can do considering i live in an apartment with a family, otherwise i would do bigger. the second we get a house im doing an outdoor enclosure.

im going to be using a temperature timer from zilla with 3 CHEs.

im just trying to go as cheap as possible with bedding and i cant find orchid bark unbranded for reptiles. being reptile branded completely inflates the price. buying online is also pointless because with the amount youre buying the shipping in its self will cost as much as the bedding.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA

1. Tom's recommendation of orchid bark has been amazing. I had been using coco coir, but about a month ago I switched my redfoot to orchid bark and from now on it's what I'll use in a closed chamber.

3. I have plexiglass and hate it. If you go that route get as thick as you can afford. My next enclosure build will use glass.

baldegale

like i just stated, i can not afford orchid bark. theres nowhere near me that sells bulk sadly. coco coir is very counterproductive to buy online because the place i found the shipping costs more than the actual coco itself.

my dad wont allow me to glass otherwise i would but for some reason he refuses.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
like i just stated, i can not afford orchid bark. theres nowhere near me that sells bulk sadly. coco coir is very counterproductive to buy online because the place i found the shipping costs more than the actual coco itself.

my dad wont allow me to glass otherwise i would but for some reason he refuses.
Orchid bark can be found in bulk at garden centers. If they don't have it, you can order it. A 2.0 ft.³ bag cost around $10. Two bags will fill it up and three bags will give you a very thick layer of substrate. Hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowe's do not carry this. You have to go to a garden center.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is one from my local garden center that works great:
Orchid Bark.JPG

If your local places don't carry something suitable, then perhaps they can order it for you?

baldegale

Orchid bark can be found in bulk at garden centers. If they don't have it, you can order it. A 2.0 ft.³ bag cost around $10. Two bags will fill it up and three bags will give you a very thick layer of substrate. Hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowe's do not carry this. You have to go to a garden center.
i wish it would only take 2-3 bags. at a 4ftx8ft enclosure with 6 inches deep is about 16 cubic feet of bedding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i wish it would only take 2-3 bags. at a 4ftx8ft enclosure with 6 inches deep is about 16 cubic feet of bedding.

Okay. I'll rephrase: I only use two bags in my 4x8' enclosures that I have been running for decades and that suits me and my tortoises fine. Adding a third bag would be over kill, so I don't do it. 8 bags would fill the thing halfway up. Suit yourself…