Building a closed chamber

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Im going to get working on a closed chamber this weekend. I had a few questions and I will update with my progress. I am aiming for a 3'x5.5' size enclosure.

Right now I am using a 100w PowerSun. I plan to allow at least 30" of height from the bottom of the enclosure. Does this seem to allow sufficient room for adjustment for that wattage?

I have concerns about sealing the wood, I see some people do it and some dont. It is so cold where I am that doing a polyurethane application will be tricky, but if it is essential then I will find a means to get it done.

I have a RF, I plan to use cypress mulch as substrate, as this seems to be one of the more preferred ones.

Thanks

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
The enclosure I just bought was sealed with grout. It seems to have worked pretty well. ImageUploadedByTortForum1384449305.393941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I am making some progress and decided to seal the wood with a water based polyurethane. I am at a point of designing the top for my chamber.

I had questions regarding probe placement for both thermostat and humidistat. I assume that because we want these measurements to be ambient, that I can just hang the probes from the top a bit above the substrate?

I just want to know if that is correct or if I need to plan for these probes to be in any different area, say above or within the hide.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You are right about probe placement. Just run it down along the back wall stopping a few inches above the substrate level.

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Ive completed my closed chamber and moved my RF in last night. Any suggestions or input is appreciated. I will be adding plants soon.

So far, so good. It took some tinkering to get the environment dialed in. Humidity is set and holding at 85% and temps have been: 78 at the hide, 90 basking and 82 ambient.

I have both the thermostat and humidistat probes on the back wall just behind the hide.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 81
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 93

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would try to get the hide up to 80, although 78 isn't bad. However, hot and humid is good, cold and wet equals a sick tort. Otherwise it looks good.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Man, that's a fantastic setup! Great job.