Closed chamber?

Mandysaur

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
i am thinking of getting this to make my tortoise table a closed chamber for baby sulcata. Anyone have any experience with these? I also have a 55 gallon aquarium I could put a lid on. Would that be better?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
i am thinking of getting this to make my tortoise table a closed chamber for baby sulcata. Anyone have any experience with these? I also have a 55 gallon aquarium I could put a lid on. Would that be better?

Very large aquarium tanks (6-8+ x 2.5-3 ft) make decent open and closed enclosures. However, aquarium tanks of that size are often more expensive than similar performing alternatives. A 55 gallon aquarium tank is quite narrow. I've seen 55 gallon tanks that had 14 inch width, that's quite small for growing tortoises. That space would also be cluttered if you factor in hide boxes, water dishes, and various decorative objects.

A Christmas tote is a good and affordable temporary option to house your Sulcata hatchling for another couple of months. This item cost around $30-37 a couple weeks ago:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797PCQB4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

An 8 (L) x 4 (W) ft indoor enclosure will be able to house them for about 2-3 (maybe 4 depending on growth rate) years. After that your tortoise will need to be housed permanently in an outdoor enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree with @Minority2
Aquariums work.
But not for very long due to size.
My closed chamber actually is a custom, short sided aquarium. But my babies don't stay there long before they are rehomed or placed into my outdoors areas.

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
Have y’all seen those coffee table terrariums? What is the consensus on them? To scary for the turtle?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Have y’all seen those coffee table terrariums? What is the consensus on them? To scary for the turtle?

I find coffee table options to be too out in the open. To make it happen, one would need to hide all those lighting fixture cables. Seems like a lot of unneeded work. If you factor in the additional height needed for your lighting fixtures the coffee table enclosure becomes nearly as high as a dining table.

In my opinion, the best place to put an indoor tortoise enclosure is one that does not get a lot of foot traffic. You don't want to disturb your tortoise at night with flickering of lights, television sounds, and or loud conversation. An office area, home gym, play room, reading nook, basement, and rarely used guest rooms are my recommendations.