55 gallon aquarium sealed chamber

nyoom

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all! I'm not a tortoise owner yet, but I'm doing research on how to make a big enough indoor setup. I already own a 55 gallon aquarium (48L x 13D x 21H) and was wondering: Could I use it as a sealed chamber for a baby greek, either upright or turned on its side?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I built this one today for one of my small leopard torts. I'm still tweaking the temps. I siliconed down the wood on the top except for the lid part of course. Right now the temps and humidity are holding very steady.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478486895.583478.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478486913.469606.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478486929.944054.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478486949.713117.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
55 gallon is a good start for a small tortoise, but eventually they will need more space. I have a Russian who loved the 55 for a little while, but then started getting antsy. Keep an eye out on Kreg's list and at garage sales. That's where I've gotten most of my stuff.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
55 gallon is a good start for a small tortoise, but eventually they will need more space. I have a Russian who loved the 55 for a little while, but then started getting antsy. Keep an eye out on Kreg's list and at garage sales. That's where I've gotten most of my stuff.

This is a good point Ginger made. I'm assuming you are talking about a baby tort or a small juvenile. Anything bigger would be to big for a 55 gallon.

nyoom

Texas
So a little guy would have enough leg room for a bit? That's a thought then. I also have what I think is a 100 or 120 that is missing a front pane that I could probably convert, but that one will take quite a bit more elbow grease to get anywhere approaching useful. I notice that a lot of people use outdoor pens for their torts. Do I have to leave them out all night? We get a lot of predators around here.

This is a good point Ginger made. I, assuming you are talking about a baby tort or a small juvenile. Anything bigger would be to big for a 55 gallon.

Yeah I did say "baby" in the original post. It's probably far too narrow to be of use for more than a year or two at most, which is why I asked about turning it on its side, since 55 gallons are taller than wide.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
So a little guy would have enough leg room for a bit? That's a thought then. I also have what I think is a 100 or 120 that is missing a front pane that I could probably convert, but that one will take quite a bit more elbow grease to get anywhere approaching useful. I notice that a lot of people use outdoor pens for their torts. Do I have to leave them out all night? We get a lot of predators around here.

Yeah I did say "baby" in the original post. It's probably far too narrow to be of use for more than a year or two at most, which is why I asked about turning it on its side, since 55 gallons are taller than wide.

The back of mine is missing a panel which made it easier to work with. I just cut a piece of plywood for the back. I actually liked it that way because I was able to mount my thermostats and wiring to the wood.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
As far as the outdoor pens, some leave them out and others bring them in. All my torts come in at night.

nyoom

Texas
The back of mine is missing a panel which made it easier to work with. I just cut a piece of plywood for the back. I actually liked it that way because I was able to mount my thermostats and wiring to the wood.

Is it sad that I would never have thought of that? That would definitely be less expensive than my other ideas. My major other concern is that it's apparently difficult to keep glass enclosures warm enough. Should I be concerned about that?

Edit: Also how did you attach it to the back?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Is it sad that I would never have thought of that? That would definitely be less expensive than my other ideas. My major other concern is that it's apparently difficult to keep glass enclosures warm enough. Should I be concerned about that?

Nope, I have 2 ceramic heat emitters mounted set on thermostats for this one. I have a smaller tank that has one and it barely kicks on for the heat at night. During the day it never comes on because the lights keep the right temps.

Attach it with clear silicone. Any lumber yard will also cut the wood for the measurement you bring them.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyoom

Texas
Nope, I have 2 ceramic heat emitters mounted set on thermostats for this one. I have a smaller tank that has one and it barely kicks on for the heat at night. During the day it never comes on because the lights keep the right temps.

Attach it with clear silicone. Any lumber yard will also cut the wood for the measurement you bring them.

Oh that's good, though I think I can borrow my dad's workshop for that bit.

I'm not sure I'll need quite that much heat though.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oh that's good, though I think I can borrow my dad's workshop for that bit.

I'm not sure I'll need quite that much heat though.

No you shouldn't need that much heat for the Greek

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks a lot for your help! It should be another couple of months before I'm ready for my new little guy if all goes well, but I don't think it hurts to be prepared.
Absolutely no problem. Stick around keep us updated. I'm sure you've been reading too. Lots of great info on the site and tons to help with the little Greek.