55 gal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
I am looking into getting a 55 gal this weekend for my sulcata hatchlings. They have grown alot and almost 2months now. My question is, I have a 100w Mercury vapor bulb (UV's/HEAT) and was wondering if I would need to purchase a 150w in order to heat up the 55 gal? I know it will probably take alot more heating to heat up the whole tank unless plexi glass holds in more heat/moisture than wood? I am getting a tank without the top so I need to cover it somehow and right now they are in a 25 gallon and I use foil to trap the heat in and it works GREAT so any suggestions? I doubt I want to foil a 55 gallon LOL

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
it should still be ok. I would use a heat pad underneath the humid hide to help with ambiant heat. Before you go spending the money on a 150 watter just see what your temps come in at in the new tank. More than likely will be fine. also need to take into consideration spring is here so warm weather is coming soon. Well at least here in texas. Its already 88 today.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree with tortadise....give the light you have a try first and see what you get to...you can have a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the top of the tank the amount you want...I have a piece of small size chicken wire that I cut to fit to cover 3/4 of the top and then I slipped the piece of chicken wire into a plastic trash bag that I pulled snug and used duct tape to keep it snug and tight and neat looking and I lay that over the top and it works well with heat and humidity retention....:D

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
we are getting hit with rain this whole week :( spring here is a little late and we didn't get the rainy season yet so it has delayed...weather has been acting up but yesterday was pretty hot and was up in the 70's but now were getting back to 50's and 60's. Anywhoo, even though summer is coming I would still need to prepare for the colder months once summer is over but yes the heat will help alot :D I just wanted to know what everyone else with a big tank uses to trap in heat or moisture, if they used plexi or a wooden top? WOW I can't believe it's 88 there?! OH yah, there's no way a heat pad would work since the substrate is thick and I don't have a humid hide right now, I have a basking rock/cave...it has two stairs on either side for them to bask ontop or go underneath in the cave and I keep it moist and hot in there so that's where they sleep and hide but come out and bask when they feel like it.

ascott said:
I agree with tortadise....give the light you have a try first and see what you get to...you can have a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the top of the tank the amount you want...I have a piece of small size chicken wire that I cut to fit to cover 3/4 of the top and then I slipped the piece of chicken wire into a plastic trash bag that I pulled snug and used duct tape to keep it snug and tight and neat looking and I lay that over the top and it works well with heat and humidity retention....:D

I'm trying to picture the chicken wire in a trash bag LOL It sounds like it'd work...do you have a pic? hahaha IDK if the description in my head fits what it actually looks like but I get the idea :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I ran and pulled it down to photo...there is pic of what it looks like (I have been thinking about using a black bag instead so it looks better :D) then a pic to show the grate size with the penny for size... and pic of it on the tank...then pic of when I place a modified rubbermaid brown lid on top which weights it down flat...and a pic to show overall appearance...

The day that I picked up the tank (a lady had it sitting in her back yard and said for me to just take it free!!) It did not have any top or anything so I just used what I had on hand and it has worked well....:p

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
ascott said:
I ran and pulled it down to photo...there is pic of what it looks like (I have been thinking about using a black bag instead so it looks better :D) then a pic to show the grate size with the penny for size... and pic of it on the tank...then pic of when I place a modified rubbermaid brown lid on top which weights it down flat...and a pic to show overall appearance...

The day that I picked up the tank (a lady had it sitting in her back yard and said for me to just take it free!!) It did not have any top or anything so I just used what I had on hand and it has worked well....:p

oh nice! Seems like a good idea and it seems to work lol I was scared of using anything that would burn other than foil so my 25 gal has foil on top and it works great...humidity stays around 60-70 and the heating is 80 and up depending on weather.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Foil is good too....I am just not very patient and when I tried the foil I was not that skilled at it...lol....:p

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
ascott said:
Foil is good too....I am just not very patient and when I tried the foil I was not that skilled at it...lol....:p

your tank is alot bigger than mine so foil would probably not be a good Idea as you cannot really place the strips lengthwise. I place the foil vertically and also cover around the light fixture..it's easy because they stay in place and are adjustable if needed but I never had to adjust mine as they mended in place to form around the edges of the tank and light fixture. I really don't see myself doing that with a 55 gal LOL I think it'd be a pain to take each strip off and replace them back on and it seems it might let alot of heat out when I change the water or food as I change their food 1-3x a day depending and I change their water ALOT as they drag substrate in it all the time and like to poop in the water and food bowl :p IDK what to do besides the foil thing unless others have better options.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
GOOD NEWS!!! I transferred my M&M's today and they have adjusted immediately (probably the same surroundings helped) and the heating is a tad bit slower but not by much and I can still use foil on top as their is a big piece of glass on top in the middle so I can put 2 pieces of foil on either end and it works great...so happy! Now I just need to either make a new hide or buy one or whatnot...the one I have is getting too small for them, I will have to take pics of their new enclosure! :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:

Duct tape, Foil and chicken wire:D R U trying to speak my language

Status
Not open for further replies.