Photos of Elephant and his home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Hello tortoise lovers! Here are some photographs of my Indian star tortoise, Elephant, and his enclosure.

DIY hide box, made from corrugated plastic.
dsc02284w.jpg

Hide box, granite tiles, soaking/water dish.
dsc02307p.jpg

5% UVB strip lamp + UVA 50watt Basking lamp.
dsc02308h.jpg

He wandered for a bit before settling down for bed.. in a corner. Apparently the green hide box doesn't really appeal to him. haha
dsc02309l.jpg

Elephant taking a nap under the basking lamp.
elephantno2.jpg

In future, I hope to post photos of him when's alot bigger. Cos he's got worms now and is still undergoing treatment!

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, California
What a beautiful little guy!!!! Thanks for sharing his pics! When and how did you find out he has worms and what treatment meds is he on?

Kendra*

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
LadyGreek said:
What a beautiful little guy!!!! Thanks for sharing his pics! When and how did you find out he has worms and what treatment meds is he on?

Kendra*

Thanks! And you're most welcome, Kendra. :)

It happened last week when I just received him. He was kinda lethargic, spent alot of time under the lamps. Then I saw bubbles comin outta his nose, I was quick to say that he had RNS. But, he didn't seem that enthusiastic when food was given to him, and his poop was rather "moist and runny". A fellow member, samstar, adviced that I took him to a vet to have his RNS looked at, and also for a fecal test. Which I did. Doc's diagnosis was that the RNS wasn't that serious, told me to put him on nebuliser for a few days when necessary, as his nose is dry and bubbles appeared only occasionally. The main problem was parasites. Spotted "eggs" in his poop under the microscope. Doc prescribed Panacur to get rid of the worms. :)

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Wow.....I'm happy it was all caught in time. Parasites over time becomes a real nasty battle to clear up. Was Elephant with a previous owner that didn't take good care of him or did u get him from a breeder?

Sorry for all the questions......I'm just curious.

Kendra*

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
LadyGreek said:
Wow.....I'm happy it was all caught in time. Parasites over time becomes a real nasty battle to clear up. Was Elephant with a previous owner that didn't take good care of him or did u get him from a breeder?

Sorry for all the questions......I'm just curious.

Kendra*

Yup, very difficult to get rid of from what I've heard.

Oh, no, not at all. His previous owner loves them tortoises. Just that he had no idea Elephant was infected as he was eating just fine before I got him. Hopefully his own tortoises get treated too.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Oh ok! Yes, let him know that he should have his Torts seen by a vet just in case and as soon as possible. Your Elephant is very lucky to have you! Good luck and happy Tortoising!!!;)

Kendra*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice hiding place. May I suggest for you to cut some strips of newspaper, leaving a solid edge on one side so the strips are still attached, then tape it over the doorway so it just barely touches the floor. Sometimes they like to feel a little more secure and when the have to crawl through something (like the bushes) they feel more hidden.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
Very nice hiding place. May I suggest for you to cut some strips of newspaper, leaving a solid edge on one side so the strips are still attached, then tape it over the doorway so it just barely touches the floor. Sometimes they like to feel a little more secure and when the have to crawl through something (like the bushes) they feel more hidden.

Thank you, Yvonne. ahah that sounds interesting. I will try that, do hope he feels as interested as I am.. he's kinda a lost pup in an open soccer field. heh.

The last time i saw him near the hidebox, he was actually behind it, trying to escape. haha

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:

Hiya Yvonne, I did exactly what you suggested. I placed him in the hide box with strips attached at the entrance... took him a good five minutes pacing about and waiting to figure a way out.. haha. Actually got a video of him emerging too.
Thing is, been 3 days since i attached the strips, and he didn't get in the hidebox once. :/
A star tortoise that doesnt hide... that's kinda odd.. right? Or is he very comfortable where he is now?

Status
Not open for further replies.