Planning ahead.. (what species??)

Seaan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hey, I am writing for some advice about what type of tortoise people would recommend I get in the future. I currently live in a flat which doesn't have a garden yet and want to wait until I live somewhere with more room. However, that doesn't stop me from thinking about tortoises a lot and planning for when I do get one.

I know that I would like a hatchling because I would like to see it grow over the years. But I am unsure which species to go for. A lot of my family have Russians and as much as I love them, I want a tortoise with a more smooth, darker coloured shell. I am undecided between a Marginated or a Hermanns.

I would love some insight into your experiences of these two, perhaps the pros and cons of each or things that I should consider about them. It's sad that I'm thinking about this so much in advance but hey - I love tortoises!

Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about either species you mentioned. However, I think it's great you are planning so far ahead. From what I have read, Hermanns are similar to Russians and is a good started tortoise. The smooth part though, comes in the way you raise them. Most all tortoises are suppose to be smooth. Most are raised way too dry.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Don't marginated torts get sort or larger...ish? If your looking for a smaller, easily accommodated indoors tort, I'd get a hermann's :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
And I mean 'indoor tort' as in can be easily housed indoors :) No tortoise is an indoor tortoise!

Seaan

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
That's a very good point. I do plan on housing it outside as much as possible though after a couple of years (temperature permitting here in the North of Scotland).

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB