Plans for new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Soo attached (hopefully) are my plans for Rosie's indoor enclosure. We're hoping to build it 6x4 feet with a mostly enclosed top and hinged doors on the front that have wire but also removeable plexiglas to trap in humidity. We're planning on installing under substrate heating rope and having a mvb basking area. The wood will be treated wood and then painted, with the lower half of the inside lined with pond liner to keep extra moisture off the wood. I plan on planting some tort safe plants in there and doing rotating grass seed trays for munching. The room she's in usually doesn't drop below 73 at night and is around 80 during the day. For humidity we're going to set up a humidifier on a timer/sensor to go off when ambient humidity falls below about 60%. During the day we're going to aim for temps around 80, up to low 90's in the basking spot and around 76ish on the "cool" side. Any ways, for those that have done enclosures for redfoots I look forward to advice and opinions!

Attachments

• image-572820078.png
    image-572820078.png
    399.4 KB · Views: 94

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Thanks! She's not even 6" so I'm sure she'll feel lost for a bit! But will be a little while before it's built due to finances..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks and sounds like a great plan. Don't forget to post pics when you have it built.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Bought the lumber for it and will be slowly constructing it. Hoping to do a combination of real and silk plants to keep up humidity. I took cuttings of my wandering jew vines last week and they're already producing roots so yay for edible ground cover/vines!

Also have a few fern type plants to put in there and will be dividing up the existing houseplants into safe/not safe for tort (although since she's a redfoot and all my houseplants are south american in origin and have mostly been sampled by her already, I'm going with safe).

My boyfriend will be doing the building and designing an automated control system for heat/humidity. My job is to paint it (have high gloss acrylic paint and plan on using some plastic liner too), as well as filling it with substrate and arranging the plants/layout.

Every time I open her existing tub cage she's clamoring at the walls to get out (and lately she's attempted escape nearly daily). I'm sure she'll be super thrilled to have the new 4' by 6' enclosure to roam, especially since it's getting too cool for outdoor excursions most days.

Sadly, she'll have to wait probably a few weeks for it to be done to allow paint to dry and for it to be all set up and established with heat/humidity so we don't accidentally bake her!

Pictures will come along as soon as it's in progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.